Raven

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Kankuran

Raven

Post by Kankuran »

Hi there, just would like to share some work.
I have been modeling a Raven and it will be used in the inroduction of a feature that I am working on. The motions are still very rough and not very fluent.

Two short clips.

Raven flight cycle:
www.goober.nu/journey/forum/Proboard/video/video3.html

Raven picking:
www.goober.nu/journey/forum/Proboard/video/video4.html

Cheers/
Ola
Genete

Post by Genete »

Excellent work.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The flight looks a bit strange to me. Try this: instead of slowing down the movement when the wings get near the "down" position, keep the speed until the very end, then just have the wings stay there for two or three frames.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Both look great!

I agree with Slowtiger, but I'd make the whole down flap faster than the up flap since this is the direction the bird is applying effort. The equal speed of the whole flap cycle looks just a bit unnatural.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Oh yes, syn is right again. Faster, and balanced.

I tried to find some footage of flying birds in the Prelinger archieves and on youtube, but found none of the views I remember from school. If you go for a naturalistic effect, and already put so much effort into your work, you should spend some time for research as well.
Kankuran

Post by Kankuran »

Hi there and thanks.

Regarding the flapping of the wings I do agree upon the unatural movement, and I will work on that. Those clips are just roughs.

I have been studying the flapping of crows, and then the up-flap is quicker than the down-flap. They need to pull upp the wings as quick as possible not to lose height while the down-flap meets the resistence from the air and therefore becomes slower.
:)

Cheers!
Last edited by Kankuran on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

thats what i was going to say... logic dictates slower down flap due to air resistance, think of it like swimming the butterfly :P

I think the animation needs some work, but i love the design! the closeup is beautiful.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

You're right. I knew one direction had to be slower, but I didn't research it to make sure I knew which. Just off the top of my head there.

But very nice looking. Once the movement matches the quality of the artwork, it will really shine.

:wink:
Springymajig

Post by Springymajig »

Well you're obviously aware that the animation could be better so I won't comment on that but the design and modeling are excellent!
human

Post by human »

Just wanted to chime in on the great beauty of this art and the great promise shown by the animation already.

Also want to add something quirky, I guess. I have long been fascinated by how beautiful crows and ravens are, anyway. If you are going to commit yourself to the enormous work of animation, why not choose a worthwhile subject.... just like this?

And now, here's a little secret. What color is a raven? Black? No, actually, they are an extremely dark midnight blue. If you get close enough to really see the feathers, the inky black glints with a very deep indigo sheen.
Kankuran

Post by Kankuran »

Thanks everyone, I will keep on working on the intro.

Human, thanks for the tip. You are so right in your perception, I will think of this, yet it depends a little on the light of the scene aswell. I don´t want it to stick out to much.

I have just started a blog about this project, if anyone would be interested.
http://kankuran.wordpress.com

Cheers, and thanks for your inspiring words.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Great job!

Both looks very good and with natural and realistic movements.
On the second one the drawing was very realistic.
Keep it up!

Cheers!
Kankuran

Post by Kankuran »

Ok, here goes!

The first part of Scene1 of my feature "Nim´s journey" is almost finished.
This will be where the titles are shown, I have just thrown in a couple of texts just to get the feeling for it.
There are some errors, some small changes to the images has to be made and the sound is not the finished product(:

This Scene accually ends when the Raven flies away, the slow camera pull out is just for the mood in this clip.

The Raven is all done in AS, the rest is Photoshop and After Effects.

http://www.goober.nu/journey/forum/Prob ... ideo5.html
chucky

Post by chucky »

Awesome, Kancuran, great mood and I love the raven and all its ruffled and dangling feathers, fantastic detail. I don't know how I missed it before. Can't wait to see the finished piece.
If I might be so bold may I ask if the talons are are finished in regard to their animation?
I would have expected them to tuck up and close more as they push the bird off the stump.
P.S. what did you generate the sky with it is very effective?
human

Post by human »

i love it