Raven

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Let it load (long), then press play. Works for me on 10.4.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I had the same trouble viewing the clip (slow connection). I finally just waited until it was completely loaded before watching it. Took quite awhile, but worked. :wink:
unkledunkle

Post by unkledunkle »

Thanks guys. I'll devote an evening to it.
Kankuran

Post by Kankuran »

human wrote: Interesting--I thought the music was a version of a Grieg tune... he wrote some sort of waltz for one of his works. Do you know the one I mean?
human, sorry, I totally missed your question. Very rude of me.

I accually heard that other people recognize the tune from different places. Yesterday they talked about a russian composer. The song is quite well known, so maybe they have borrowed bits and pieces. Do you have a link to the tune Grieg made? Are you refering to Edvard Grieg?
Last edited by Kankuran on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kankuran

Scene 1 as good as finished!

Post by Kankuran »

Apart from some effects animations and image retouching the first scene is as good as finished.

The video weights 20 mb and has the size of 1024x576, so please have patience. If you have problems watching it please let me know and I will put up a smaller file.

Please let me know what you think, good/bad. I have been fightning with this scene for a couple of weeks now and my mind is getting all messy(: I can´t tell the good from the bad anymore.

Here is ne new file:

http://www.goober.nu/journey/forum/Prob ... ideo6.html

Please enjoy.

knunk

Post by knunk »

I think its great! Beautiful style. I'm always drawn to your work, you have a natural gift for storytelling.
If I was to pick fault I'd say the Raven is pretty lightweight. Its take off lacks any real power. You've set him up beautifully. He looks amazing and the action up until then is spot on.

The only other thing is the rain. You've real depth to the shot but the rain is very much a 2d effect and by the end really seems to be sitting on top of the scene. By the time the camera comes to rest the rain drops actually seem behind the tree line and look too big. I was thinking a car would come around the bend and was holding my breath you could pull it off. You did. Excellent work! great comping too!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

As always, phenomenal work. You're one of the few AS artists up there with Greykid.

That said, I'd have to agree with the points Knunk made. I didn't really notice a problem with the rain, but the raven does appear to go into slow motion as it takes off. I would think it should anticipate the take off by crouching a bit, and them take off with much greater force. That way it appears to be 'at speed' like the rest of the motion (which is spot on).

And 'being' spelled 'beeing'.

But I would easily overlook any of that to see more of this.

:wink:
bradhammer

Post by bradhammer »

Brilliant work! I also think you are up there with greykid also. I have two questions. How did you make such a detailed tree!(Its gorgeous!) and is that car 3D?
Kankuran

Post by Kankuran »

knunk wrote:I think its great! Beautiful style. I'm always drawn to your work, you have a natural gift for storytelling.
If I was to pick fault I'd say the Raven is pretty lightweight. Its take off lacks any real power. You've set him up beautifully. He looks amazing and the action up until then is spot on.
Thanks knuk!
Regarding the Raven, I do agree upon the unatural take-off, in the real world it should be gone in a instance. But I am looking for the dramatic effect of the raven taking off like a eagle. So it should be slow in this case. But if it feels to light, then that is a problem I have to deal with.

knunk wrote: The only other thing is the rain. You've real depth to the shot but the rain is very much a 2d effect and by the end really seems to be sitting on top of the scene. By the time the camera comes to rest the rain drops actually seem behind the tree line and look too big.
I think the rain works in the beginning until the camera pans down to the road. You are right about the raindrops looking like they goes behind the trees. It is because there is a "add" layer effect effect on the rain, unfortunately that makes the rain dissapear against darker colors. I will have fix this.
knunk wrote: I was thinking a car would come around the bend and was holding my breath you could pull it off. You did. Excellent work! great comping too!
Really glad you liked it, I worked for 3 days to make this work in some way. The car is a 3D object that moves against a 2D image, so it is a lot of work to find a good motion. I am still not sure if it looks ok.

Thanks again for your feedback.

synthsin75 wrote: As always, phenomenal work. You're one of the few AS artists up there with Greykid.
Thanks alot!! (I like your new whale animation by the way, really neat!"
I feel I have a lot to prove before I can measure with their level of production and experience. But I am very flattered by your written words. I decided to jump on this Moho trip after watching Grey Kids work, I knew then that this program is that unpolished Lost Marble that I have been looking for.
synthsin75 wrote: That said, I'd have to agree with the points Knunk made. I didn't really notice a problem with the rain, but the raven does appear to go into slow motion as it takes off. I would think it should anticipate the take off by crouching a bit, and them take off with much greater force. That way it appears to be 'at speed' like the rest of the motion (which is spot on).
Point taken. The raven is crouching a bit before taking off, but I might have to crouch it even more. I will look into this, aswell as the take-off.
synthsin75 wrote: And 'being' spelled 'beeing'.
I got some good help in changing the text, thanks, it was far to late for me to compose anything in English at the time, but I just wanted publish the clip(:
bradhammer wrote: Brilliant work! I also think you are up there with greykid also. I have two questions. How did you make such a detailed tree!(Its gorgeous!) and is that car 3D?
Hi there bradhammer, and thanks for your nice comments!

The tree is from the beginning different photos of a dead trees in a little forest not far from where I live. I have put them togeather to build up the image. I have done much retouching to get rid of all the sharp details and to make it blend with the rest of the image.

Yes, the car is 3D. Even though I am not a 3D artist I do have to rely on some 3D work, especially objects. As I am working alone with this project at the moment it would take to much of my time to make everything in 2D.
knunk

Post by knunk »

Really looking forward to seeing more of this. I'm a real fan.

I think to better illustrate my point on the Raven heres a video. It's not a speed thing. I think a few good poses. Really strong ones and you'll get that power across.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi1OG5z4cnM

Its the fall forward...the wings up.... the push off with the feet and the downward thrust.

I love the feel of it already..I think it's a unique style you have and something to cherish.

best of luck with it
bradhammer

Post by bradhammer »

Thanks for replying to my comment. That is wonderful how you got photos of trees in real life and put them to together! I think that 3D car works well with the 2D environment.