First 'proper' animation

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Blighty

First 'proper' animation

Post by Blighty »

This is my first animation that is more than just a 60 second test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixuk58FeuR0

I wanted to create a few re-usable character rigs so that I can put together a story in a limited animation style. It's mostly 'talking heads' I'm afraid but I learnt a lot by putting together an animation from start to finish.

FYI, it was all created on a Linux PC using Gimp, Wings3D and Audacity, then edited together in Blender.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Good work. Interesting usage of combined software.
ToonLifeOnline

Post by ToonLifeOnline »

That was really good. I actually watching the whole thing. I am looking forward to seeing more of this series. Good Job!
shoepie

Post by shoepie »

Very impressive job! I look forward to seeing more. I liked the use of Blender too.

I'm from Swindon so extra points for living just down the road from me!
ShoePie.co.uk - My animations.
technoweasel

Freeware is Great

Post by technoweasel »

I use a lot of freeware too because I can't afford much. I have Audacity, Blender, Papagayo, Anim8or, and the GIMP. I don't know if commercial software is better than free alternatives, but I will hopefully have a chance to compare the GIMP and Photoshop Elements after my birthday.
Blighty

Post by Blighty »

Apart from the cost (free), an advantage of all the additional software I used is that it's cross-platform. So once you learn how to use Blender, Gimp, Wings3D and Audacity you can use them on a Mac, Windows PC or Linux.

As for commercial software being better than open source alternatives, bear in mind that CinePaint (used to be called Film Gimp) was used on the Harry Potter films, The Last Samurai, Stuart Little etc.
Although the programs are usually rougher round the edges and the documentation isn't always user friendly, open-source programs can be pretty powerful.
technoweasel

Post by technoweasel »

Do you know of a good freeware video editor that supports alpha channel and chromakey?
Blighty

Post by Blighty »

The one that immediately springs to mind is Blender

It's the one I use and it supports alpha channel, chromakey and other effects by using plugins.
It's more famous for being a 3D modeller but it also has a VSE or Video Sequence Editor.

Also, because it's a well established piece of software, there are lots of good tutorials if you Google for them.
technoweasel

Post by technoweasel »

I have blender too, but I haven't figured out the video sequencer yet. The best tutorials I have found are on the Blender Wiki Tutorials, but they are pretty disorganized.
Playing around with 3D is fun, but dropping a dimension gets things done!