Gary and Barry: The Security Guards

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

drdemoman

Gary and Barry: The Security Guards

Post by drdemoman »

Something I've done recently. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CGOqR169C8

Luke[/url]
DarkMProductions

Post by DarkMProductions »

Not bad, I like the art style. The voices were also pretty good, though I thought that it could have gone with out the F word, the animation was pretty good too. Though the sketch didn't make me laugh or anything, it did leave a smile on my face, So good job.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Nice job, but it would be even better if you'd give your characters more personality (animation wise, the character designs are great). It's a bit too much like "Do this, then that, finally that."

For instance, the shop lifter, once apprehended, doesn't even struggle. It's like he doesn't have a mind of his own. He should struggle, and still be thrown out with the garbage. That is much more entertaining.

My 2 cents.
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

I liked the art style.

One suggestion is when an object drops to the ground you should animate it like it has some weight. If you observe a real object falling to the ground you'll notice that it starts out slow and gradually speeds up as it hits the ground.

This effect can be achieved pretty simply in AS. Lets say I had an apple falling from a tree. The apple is on the tree at frame 1 and on the ground at frame 8.
Key your extreme poses first. Apple on tree frame 1, apple on ground frame 8. Now, when you play it back you'll notice that it doesn't fall to the ground with any weight but just kinda flooaaats down.

Now, adjust it to give it some weight. I usually do this by raising the object slightly on certain frames. I'll show you what I mean:

EXTREME Frame 1- Apple on tree

Tween Frame 2
Tween Frame 3
Tween Frame 4
Tween Frame 5

ADD KEY Frame 6- Lift the apple up just a little bit. (be careful not to move the apple to the side at all or it'll jitter as it goes down)

Tween Frame 7

EXTREME Frame 8- Apple on ground.

This'll give the illusion of some weight as it drops to the ground. Usually you have to tweak it a few times but when you finally get it right it's worth it and doesn't look super floaty.

I hope I didn't confuse you :? This stuff is hard to explain over the internet. Heh, maybe I'll draw up a visual tutorial sometime.
Live the Dream

Post by Live the Dream »

Awesome mate- I loved the art style- very unique- the voices were very distintive and suited the characters.

I think you got a good basis for a series of animated shorts... Maybe do the characters talking about the top 5 most stolen items in a style similar to Top of the Pops? Just an idea! Keep up the good work!
drdemoman

Post by drdemoman »

Thanks for the comments.

To spooze! : I know what you mean. I do find it a bit tricky with AS. I wish AS had a graph editor so you could have complete control of the speed of movement between keyframes. The ease in/out, smooth, etc settings just don't seem to work well for me.

Luke