DK's ERECTUS

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

magicwand

Post by magicwand »

DK wrote: For the legs I create switch layer groups. One group will consist of two layers for each leg in a walk cycled, the other group is for still standing positions so that I can stop and start the walk cycles at any place on the timeline.
Hi David,

I hope this not asking for too much, but could you please share any simple sample character which describes your character setup.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Magic.
Here's a sample fie of Erectus. You can see how all the parts are broken up into switch layers so that I can change any feature at any point on the timeline. Often I will just make a new arm or expression on the fly when animating if needed and then incorporate it straight away. Some of my switch layes were getting 20-30 vector layers deep, especially the facial expressions.

http://www.wienertoonz.com/DKsample.anme

Cheers
D.K
magicwand

Post by magicwand »

Thank you David, the file has been very helpful in understanding the character setup.

Did you use bones for any of the characters or were all of them done using switch layers.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Magic.
I tossed and turned about using bones but decided against it and opted to use switch layers for 2 reasons.

1. Speed. I needed to churn out the animation really quickly and setting up bones every time I needed a new hand position etc would have slowed me down immensly.

2. I wanted the character animation to be fast and this suited fast switching btween layers as opposed to the slower movement you tend to get with bone animation.

In my next project I experimented with using cut out images and bone animation to get a completely different look.

Cheers
D.K
DominiqueBray

Post by DominiqueBray »

Good job DK. I loooooooooove it !!!!
And thanks for this useful file.
________
BONGO
Last edited by DominiqueBray on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

No Problem DominiqueBray.
:)

D.K
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Hey DK, is this you on Aniboom? Or is this someone posting your animation?
http://www.aniboom.com/animation-video/393712/Erectus/
DK

Post by DK »

Hey that s me J :) I forgot I uploaded it there.
Thanks so much for reminding me.

Cheers
D.K
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

DK wrote:Hey that s me J :) I forgot I uploaded it there.
Thanks so much for reminding me.

Cheers
D.K
Cool! I rated you and subscribed. You need an avatar on there. ;)
DK

Post by DK »

Hey thanks J :) Do you have anything up?

Cheers
D.K
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

DK wrote:Hey thanks J :) Do you have anything up?

Cheers
D.K
I'm re-uploading mine right now. I originally uploaded a 1280x720 video but since Aniboom down sizes to 594x334, it looked kind of weird. So I just re-encoded it to wmv at 594x334. It should be up shortly. It's the animated short, "Don't Kiss the Frog" I made.
DK

Post by DK »

Cool J. Post a link when you're done :)

Cheers
D.K
Acochran_89

Post by Acochran_89 »

that's how i break all of my characters up to! It's a very simple, organized, and effective way to gather different poses for all of the limbs and such.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

DK wrote:Cool J. Post a link when you're done :)

Cheers
D.K
Here it is DK, http://www.aniboom.com/animator-portfolio/PoseMotion

Oh and by the way. I have to say your Erectus cartoon has to be one of my favorite cartoons that was made with this program. It has that vintage look and sound. Not that I don't like newer styles. But most cartoons these days just aren't up to par to what they use to be.
neeters_guy

Re: DK's ERECTUS

Post by neeters_guy »

DK wrote:It's a pilot for a TV series produced in the old road runner style with a twist. It took me 4 weeks to create including music. Comments are welcome.
D.K
Very nice. For some reason, it reminds me more of the Pink Panther shorts from the 60s.

At the beginning, it would've been nice to crumble the big bone in pieces rather than as a wipe. But I understand the time constraint. Amazing that you did this in 4-weeks.

Thanks for posting the sample anme file. I hadn't considered NOT using bones, so maybe this will speed up my own workflow. :D