This is my first animation please let me know what you think

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JimHJ

Post by JimHJ »

First off let me apologize, it was never my intention to try to put anything over on anybody. I would really like to talk about the animation, but right this minute I don't have any time, I have to get my three babies up and feed them breakfast. I look forward to starting over and getting to know everybody.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

I will be back at nap time.

JH
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I'm 48 and I don't have 3 kids, I have money instead. :) I have a very boring life, where I sleep at my job, (work for the government ). I slept in most of today because I spent the most of last night at a strip club that my friend runs. Now I working on a animation script (adult) and have been watching the gold and platinum markets, had a few extra dollars and bought 9 ounces of gold and 5 of platinum a few months ago. Hope I'm not boring you.

But the flower vase textures are moving on the close up. I hate the stock mouths after you spent all that time making the backgrounds and characters.
The over all animation is good for a first.

I used to be broke all the time, now I buy cars that are heading to the scrap yard. Paid off the house and almost all the credit cards. My problem was vanity, Now I don't care if I have the best of everything.

Dale
JimHJ

Post by JimHJ »

Ah, it's nap time, also known as happy hour around my house.

I do agree there are a lot of things wrong with this animation. A lot of corners were cut due to limited time. I also wanted to get the animation out quickly before it was decided who the Democratic nominee would be. The joke about voting Bill Clinton back into the white house, this time as first lady, wouldn't work if Obama was the nominee.

I thought about creating arms and hands. I especially wanted to do that closed fist, pointing with the thumb thing that all politicians love to do, but it probably would have added on another month of work for me.

Using the stock mouths was partly due to laziness and not being able to draw very well.

Now the vase thing, I'm not sure why the dots move. Is there a way to turn that off, so they don't animate?

synthsin75, I would be more than happy to share the .anme files with soundtracks, but I'm not sure exactly how you go about doing that.

It's also more than one file. I would create a scene such as the Bush's speech in close-up and animate it. I would place it in one group folder and bring it in as an Anime object into the other scene of the living room, attach it to the TV set, than animate that scene. That would give me an identical animation of Bush on the TV set and in close-up. I did the same things with the news guy and Clinton. I ended up with seven files which I took into Adobe Premier elements and edited them altogether, adding some sound effects and ambient noise.

That's pretty much it.

I hope that my next animation will be better. I'm still learning. I appreciate all the help and examples that I have seen on this forum. If it wasn't for you people here I wouldn't have been able to do the animation at all. You have been more help than you will ever know.

Again I apologize for any misunderstanding about the spam thing. On my next animation. I will make sure that I am more up front with you about its subject matter.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

If you used texture instead of vectors they can do strange things on the vase.
If they are vector, then just tum the animation off, it's on top tool bar. "Clear animation form this layer."

Dale
JimHJ

Post by JimHJ »

I used effect 1 "spots" located under the fill color section. can the movement that that is causing be turned off?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Clean slates all around. :D

I would have to agree about the bone wiggle for the head movement being a bit much. I plan on using bone wiggle for the jaw and lower teeth motion though. Overall, very good work for a first. I would have liked to see Bush his characteristic befuddled self, but you captured Clinton pretty well. Hopefully next one you do you'll be able to include more animation, but if you do more talking heads, I'd suggest throwing in some other viewing angles. This piece didn't really call for it, but could have used some minor head turns. Front to 3/4, etc.

Nice variety of backgrounds.
JimHJ

Post by JimHJ »

Synthsin75 thanks for the input. I'm already thinking up some ideas for the next animation. I will definitely try to make it more animated than this one was. I will try to do some experimentation on head turns. I've seen some good examples in this forum
Live the Dream

Post by Live the Dream »

Hey JimHJ I liked your work- You conveyed the charcaters well- They looked and sounded like the real deal.

There was also a dose of humor which is always in good in adverts.

However I think maybe some music in the background- might bring it to life a bit more?

Good start- I'm looking forward to your future projects! :)
JimHJ

Post by JimHJ »

Live The Dream,

Thanks for putting a comment on YouTube, you are my first and only comment so far.

I'm glad you think that my characters sound like the real thing. I think my George Bush sounds more like Ross Perot. But that's the best I can do.

I do have some music in the Clinton bar scene but I don't think it was loud enough. I could hear it fine during the editing process, I was wearing headphones at the time, but now that the project is finished I can barely hear the music at all.
tonym

Post by tonym »

A pretty good first effort.

Your cartoon was effective as an advertisement, too, since it made me curious enough about MyPowerMall to visit the site.

However, after checking out MyPowerMall, I now think your cartoon is deceptive. MyPowerMall certainly doesn't "bring prosperity to anyone who chooses to participate." I don't consider getting a small rebate on something I bought in an internet store the same as prosperity.

My subsequent research indicates that MPM is a scheme designed to enrich its owners while deluding its members into thinking they will make a living with their online "mall." The only people who are going to make a living are the owners of MPM, who siphon-off a little bit of money from every rebate generated by the malls.

That's my take on it, anyhow. :wink:

If/when you finally give-up on MPM, you should do another MPM cartoon where you criticize it to the same extent you praised it. That could be funny, I think.
JimHJ

Post by JimHJ »

Tonym

Thank you for your input. I think you are 100% wrong about MPM. I won't say any more about it than that because this forum is about animation. If you would like to have a discussion about it, you can always PM me or e-mail me at the e-mail address shown at the end of the video.