Mortonomous short film

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mortschultz

Mortonomous short film

Post by mortschultz »

Here's a quick peek at the short film I made with Anime Studio Pro. It's only going to be on Youtube for a few hours before I yank it and distribute it via Bittorrent.

Check it out!

*link removed*

Link will be back in the near future...
Last edited by mortschultz on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Great work mortschultz. You have a good personal defined style.

Only two honest comments:

1) The background style don't match the characters style. The background is soft shaded and the characters are flat. I prefer not to mix both styles.
3) I think that some camera changes are not necessary. For example at the final conversation at the door, both characters are seen completely in one camera view. You don't need to change to a rear view form the donkey every time the man speaks.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

This could turn into a series! Of course, there were some things wrong with it, but what the hey, I liked it. And that is what counts.
Kadoogan

Post by Kadoogan »

Not sure why you would want to yank it from YouTube...I think people prefer streaming media generally to a download. Despite whatever shortsighted preferences I have towards whatever method of distribution you may or may not choose...I liked it.

I agree with the camera angle swapping comment, but not so much with the background comment. I think maybe your backgrounds sometimes lack consistency, but there is no reason why backgrounds can be painted or shaded and without outlines compared to the foreground characters - there are a lot of Warner brothers cartoons and otherwise that do that very same thing. The goal being to highlight the characters so that they stand out from the background.

But you need to be consistent. I seem to have noticed that some of the backgrounds have elements that are outlined while some don't. You need to make a decision there.

Also, stylistically, the backgrounds should look like they were done for your program, just like the characters are (I'm not saying you didn't do that, but just for informational purposes...).
Last edited by Kadoogan on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
mortschultz

Post by mortschultz »

Thanks for all the comments everybody!

The reason I have to pull it temporarily is because a charity is interested in piggy-backing on the short film with a short tag at the end of the film. I'm expecting that to be finalized in about two weeks and then it will be back on Youtube.

I deliberatly designed the backgrounds in a different style to stand out from the characters. I was actually encouraged to do this by many artists and graphic designers. Thanks for the comments about the backgrounds, though.

I'm going to leave the video up for about another 12 hours and then pull it for a few weeks and then put it up for good. Thanks again for your critiques!
fraaaankieee

Post by fraaaankieee »

Personally, I liked your mixing of differing background styles and character styles.
tonym

Post by tonym »

FWIW, the BG was close enough to the characters that it didn't attract my attention.

My favorite part: the guy getting into the booth by sliding over in increments. Somehow that cracked me up.