My First Walk Cycle

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ianc

My First Walk Cycle

Post by ianc »

My First walk cycle created using Brian Lemay's BASIC PRINCIPLES OF ANIMATION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA3dwfdsrfk
adam_rp

Post by adam_rp »

Hi,

Nice one! I've struggled with convincing walks in my dabblings with AS so far but it's about time I bit the bullet.

If you added a little movement like scratching his nose or adjusting his tie it'd elevate it even further.

Good retro look too.

Adam.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

In a natural walk the body never stays the same height above ground ...
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

The normal walk cycle is like this (for each foot in front):
contact - down - passing - up

However, almost every newbie does this:
contact - passing

Why is this important? Because both the down and up poses give a feeling of weight. It also tells us if the person is heavy, normal weight, or feather light. A heavy person goes deeper through his knees in the down position, and rises less in the up position. The fat guy probably also takes shorter steps, because he is less supple in his muscles.

Animation is a crude medium, in which you can't show much of the subtleties of life action. However, you should try to show some of the properties of real life, such as weight of a body.

Here is some simple stick figure animation I made of a normal walk cycle. The character in the top part only does contact-passing, and the character in the bottom part of the animation does contact-down-passing-up. There is a clear difference between both. I slowed down the speed, so you can see it more clearly. This is 12 frames per step (24 fps).

I curious what your next animation is going to look like.
Samb

Post by Samb »

rasheed is right.
also, you could start improving by just moving the layer up and down, so the characters feets will always be ON the line. that's why you make the line (or use onion-skins).
and it seems that you doesn't use point binding.. the upper body moves strangely from side to side.. oh, and his arms floating around like crazy :)

beside the animation: I like the drawing :)
ianc

Post by ianc »

Thanks for your comments guys. I'll try and take them into acount on my next try. Much appreciated.