Some pics...

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Snudddy

Post by Snudddy »

That looked interesting. I like the 3d looking "boned hills" approach.

Maybe I'll try it as well! :D
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Cool! This looks like it could solve a different problem for which I was trying to find a solution. Would you be willing to post your moho file?
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

I like it! I understand it's more a proof-of-concept than the most practical solution but I like the way you can think outside the box and find new ways to create something original (reminds me of a young man in the lowlands...hey that's me!). Anyway, I think I get what you are doing here but somehow I believe it can be done in fewer steps. When a spark hits in my brain I'll try to do the same kind of effect in a different way.

Keep up the good work,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com

PS I think this post breaks my personal record for "I" and "me" in one single post, I'm not mentally very mature I guess...
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

jorgy wrote:Cool! This looks like it could solve a different problem for which I was trying to find a solution. Would you be willing to post your moho file?
I just mixed around a bit, and I only saved the last step, so now I did the same thing again, though obviusly not exactly the same. The three first files are the new ones (those that I made right now) and the forth step was the final file for the original image. Here are all the steps:

1. This is a simple square with gradient fill and splotchy-effect.
http://users.cjb.net/desertedmoonrock/hills1.moho

2. I saved Step 1 as a image and imported it to this file. I rotated it and scaled it.
http://users.cjb.net/desertedmoonrock/hills2.moho

3. I saved the second step as an image and added some bones to it. In Frame 1 I then translated and rotated the bones.
http://users.cjb.net/desertedmoonrock/hills3.moho

4. The file that the renderd picture that I posted can be found here (I havn't used any bones for the hills here, cause I imported an image instead. But in case you want to see it anyway; here it is):
http://users.cjb.net/desertedmoonrock/hillsfinal.moho

Hope that helps.
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

With some effort I'm sure you could use this effect for several purposes. Waves, hills, mountains or perhaps something pushing itself up from the ground. It's a very usefull effect.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Hiddicop wrote:
4. The file that the renderd picture that I posted can be found here (I havn't used any bones for the hills here, cause I imported an image instead. But in case you want to see it anyway; here it is):
http://users.cjb.net/desertedmoonrock/hillsfinal.moho

Hope that helps.
It looks like this file is truncated. I am able to download the other files fine.

Thanks for sharing!
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm having trouble replicating your effect. I also cannot download the "hillsfinal.moho" file, it keeps getting cut off. This may be part of the problem!

Could you explain a bit more how you are able to turn a 2D ground into a 3D feature with hills and indentations?

Thanks,

jorgy
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

dense, but I'm having trouble replicating your effect. I also cannot download the "hillsfinal.moho" file, it keeps getting cut off. This may be part of the problem!

Could you explain a bit more how you are able to turn a 2D ground into a 3D feature with hills and indentations?
Oh, I'm sorry! I completly forgot about this. I'll try to fix so that the files can be downloaded as soon as possible.

Though I don't think it makes any difference, cause the final file only shows how you could use it, not how I did it. The hills are just an imported image in the "hillsfinal.moho"-file.

This method dosn't really create a 3-Dimensional hill. It only looks 3D. The only thing i really is is a flat but nudged image. By placing a bone somwhere on the image and then moving the bone - the only thing that happens is that I move a part of the image verticaly. It looks like a hill, but really it's just a nudged image. However, by using masks you can make it work like a 3D-hill, like I did with a sprucetree in the image I posted.

If you've managed to make an image that looks like a ground (do not rotate it in 3D) just add some bones to it and move them around - and hocus pocus, you've made yourself a hill.

P.S

Unless your using a gradient fill (and preferebly also a splotchy-effect as I did) this method won't look so good, as you will not be able to see any difference in lighting.
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Hiddicop wrote:Oh, I'm sorry! I completly forgot about this. I'll try to fix so that the files can be downloaded as soon as possible.
I'm sorry to say that it seems as if I won't be able to keep my promise. I've been looking around for a place to upload them, but none of them accept the ".moho" extenstion.

But now I'm giving it one last chance, and if it dosent work, I give up.

http://www.hiddicop-moho.cjb.net

There! Try the link above, and tell me if it works or not. If it dosn't you'll just have to manage without the files. I've done my best.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

That worked! I was able to download all the files completely, and after stripping off the HTML at the beginning and end, was able to import them into moho. Thanks hiddicop!
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Okay, here's another pic:

7feet

Post by 7feet »

Hey Hiddicop. Nice image. A couple o' things. For one, could you throw in the image you used? That wuld help to see how you built it. Also, for when you need to post files, I've been using Sharemation for the last few years, and I like it a bunch. It's only 5 megs of space, and 5 megs of bandwidth per 3 hours, but it's free, only rarely down, and very direct. No problems with ads or directly linking files. I use it for all the forums I like and want to put examples up on. The one thing you need to keep in mind, after you set up an account, is to set the permissions on the folder you are going to put your files in (click on the "share" icon) to be publically readable. If I remember correctly, you have to make sure that you set the permissions to "inheritable" or something like that, so everything you put in there can be read by the folks at large. Overall, pretty simple. Nice work.

--Brian
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Hiddicop wrote:Okay, here's another pic:
Nice. The only suggestion I would make is that in nature, trees aren't regularly spaced. I would vary the distance between each tree.

I especially like the clouds. :-)
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

How to make a hill
A complete tutorial

1. The first thing you do is to draw a simple square that covers the entire output area. Select all it's points and fill it.

Use a gradient effect, and make the effect-window look something like this:

Add a "Splotchy"-effect and use the magnitude 24 and scale 1. It should look like this:

Render the file, and you should come up with this:

2. I deleted the vector-layer that I just drew and imported the image-layer that I renderd. (You can save the image above and use it if you want to try this yourself). I put the orgin-point on the bottom of the image, and in the middle horisontily. I rotated the image 60 degrees with the "Rotate Layer X"-tool. I scaled the layer horisontily so that it coverd the output-areas witdh. I renderd it and came up with this:

You can save this image and use it yourself, if you want to try to make a hill.

3. I added some bones and changed their strength. I added them at the edges of the image so that the bones that I later on would add wouldn't effect the images edges, causing very odd effects. It should now look like this:

I added some more bones (you can add how many you want. The more the better - smoother - effect). None of the bones I added have any parents, or children. You can modify their strength. The more strenght they have, the larger the area they effect will be.

For me it now looked like this (though if you added more bones it of course will look different):

I translated and rotated the bones a little, and there is the hill:

4. I added a sprucetree and a gradient-filled sky, and here's how it looks.

Hope that helps!

P.S
These images might not work so good together with the moho-files, so you'll maybe have to make your own examples. But that shouldn't be so hard.
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Nice. The only suggestion I would make is that in nature, trees aren't regularly spaced. I would vary the distance between each tree.
I didn't bother making the trees look so good, as the main purpose of the image was to try the clouds.

For one, could you throw in the image you used?
No, I didn't even keep the image-files. But with the tutorial above you should be able to understand anyway, I hope. You can save the images in the tutorial and add some bones, if you want to try it out.

That wuld help to see how you built it. Also, for when you need to post files, I've been using Sharemation for the last few years, and I like it a bunch. It's only 5 megs of space, and 5 megs of bandwidth per 3 hours, but it's free, only rarely down, and very direct.
Ah, thanks. Maybe it's rarely down, but it's down right now. But I'll try it again later. Thanks!