A little test

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cartoonmonkey

A little test

Post by cartoonmonkey »

Phew. I just finished rigging this little cowboy monster rider in possibly totally the wrong way. I couldn't figure out how to get the reins to properly attach, for example.
Maybe this character is just too complex...

Take a peek at my anme file and the mp4:

http://www.cartoonmonkey.com/AS/
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: A little test

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I really like the character, but I think you made it much more complex than it needed.
- First, your bone layer is moved in the sequencer. In many cases, it would be better if the green triangle would be in frame one (currently is on frame -1). You can fix that moving the bone layer in the Sequencer.
- You separated each character part to rig it and then put all together in frame one. There is no need to do that, you can use the Offset bone tool in frame zero to put each part on its real position
- Actually, you don't need to separate each part of the character nor use the Offset bone tool. You can use the "Use selected bones for Flexi-binding" Bone menu to make specific layers to bend only with specific bones. It's faster, cleaner and your character always looks exactly the same way it will look during the animation.
- For the reins you can use target bones. You can add a child bone to the head and make the rein tip to use it as target. It's a long chain and probably will present problems though.
- But actually, you can make a simpler setup: Your rein can be a line made of four point. One extreme is bound the hand, the other one is bound to the animal head. You can add a couple independent bones in between and bind each other point to them. That way you will be able to animate the rein by simply moving that two bones (plus the hand and head, of course).
I use that technique in this old file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/544 ... orse.anime
If you move the bone "B25" (the green one) you can see it moves the rein. That rein is a line made of only 3 points. One point is bound the boy hand, other to the green bone and the last one to the horse head.

I'm sorry about the comments. I know you worked hard in the character, but the process could have been much simpler.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
cartoonmonkey

Post by cartoonmonkey »

Hey Victor,

Don't be sorry! Your comments are welcome. I don't mind working hard on something, even if it could have been done easier, it's all a learning process.
Thank you for taking the time to take a look at my rig! Those are just the answers I need. I've been trying to learn more about simpler and more correct ways to build things, and this will help me quite a bit. Thank you. I may try again with some of the tips you gave and post again.

Cheers,
(And good to meet you recently, by the way. Maybe next year I'll attend again.)
C
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Oh, Chad!
I'm sorry, know I remember who you are! It was nice to meet you. I hope to see you again next year or maybe before that.
If you need anything from me, please just ask me :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel