Online Raster to Vector conversion

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dazza101

Online Raster to Vector conversion

Post by dazza101 »

There's a new online raster to vector conversion program that produces fairly impressive results and its free (at least in its current beta form).

VectorMagic - http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/ - It accepts input of JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF and outputs EPS, SVG, PNG files.

The results of simple images and logos are quite good - way better (and faster) than using the trace bitmap function in Inkscape.
Last edited by dazza101 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
human

Post by human »

Holy cow! ! !

Did you see the quality comparisons between VectorMagic and the established competition from Adobe and Corel ???

:shock:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Holy cow!

In minutes... no... seconds (less than a minute) I converted some hand drawn artwork that I had done previously with another application. Not only were the results better the process was fast. It was almost as fast as having the application running locally.

Amazing absolutely amazing.

-vern
cribble

Post by cribble »

my flat mate showed me this the other day. Truly amazing and waayyyy better than software vector conversion.
--Scott
cribble.net
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Don't tell anyone else about this website, I don't want it to be clog up with other peoples junk. I got plenty of my own to convert.

Dale
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

holy cow!

i have upload a file, vectorized it and download as eps and as svg. but i can't see it in AS or in CorelDraw 12.
can anyone help me?
here is the file link
i'm pretty excited with this tool... but if i can't to see the results, i can't use it :(
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

selgin wrote:but i can't see it in AS or in CorelDraw 12.
They also don't work in Koolmoves or 3DFA.
human

Post by human »

selgin wrote:holy cow!

i have upload a file, vectorized it and download as eps and as svg. but i can't see it in AS or in CorelDraw 12.
can anyone help me?
here is the file link
i'm pretty excited with this tool... but if i can't to see the results, i can't use it :(
Dear Selgin,

Here is your file in Illustrator 3 format:

http://generalpicture.com/friends/dormis.ai

Holy cow! :)
NightmanGX

Post by NightmanGX »

:shock: :shock: :shock:I love this!

How do I import it into AS? I've tried opening the EPS file into my file but it won't show anything. It's like nothing happend. Whats wrong? The manul says AS can import EPS. I can import the .ai file that human uploaded just fine. Is there any way to convert EPS to .ai?
human

Post by human »

NightmanGX wrote:Is there any way to convert EPS to .ai?
I used Illustrator to do this, but you would (very understandably) like some freeware.

Well, I can't vouch for this, but a Google search turned up the following:

http://wdvl.internet.com/Reviews/Graphics/Mayura/

"...Users can download a program called Ghostscript to convert .EPS files to .AI files..."

The link to Ghostscript is

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.html

The program is very old (mature?) and very famous--two good signs that it ought to work.

Let us know, will you?

===========

EDIT

Oh, and I almost forgot:

Holy cow !!!

:o
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I checked the file in a text editor.

I think that the AI/EPS import for Anime Studio is geared towards AI format specifically, more so than a "generic" vector EPS produced by the conversion tool. Basically the import is just some kind of text parser. If the converter doesn't find the same information in the file it won't do the conversion. Most likely who ever created it just used an AI eps as the basis for the conversion.

The file produced by vectormagic is very slimmed down. It is a "plain" eps without any of the code added by an AI eps export. I did a test and saved an eps from AI as the lowest possible version:

Code: Select all

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0 
This is the same "version" that vectormagic produces so it isn't that. It must be all the other stuff put in the file format.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

Selgin Wrote
holy cow!

can anyone help me?

I managed get the SVG file format into Corel Draw 12 ok although it did'nt show up the import file thumbnail preview.

Cheers
D.K
teotoon

Post by teotoon »

EPS import worked perfecty in my CorelDraw 12. The result is truly amazing!
Genete

Post by Genete »

Here you can find an anme file sample (zipped) imported form this impressive conversion tool.

Steps I've done:

1) Upload the png (the attached in the zip file)
2) Download the converted into SVG format.
3) Open it with Inkscape (linux version). It opens perfectly.
4) Export the file as Adobe Illustrator 8.0 (default settings)
5) Import the file in Anime Studio.

The sharp corners are NOT OK due to the imported file in AS doesn't make use of the curvature value of the points to make a good corner.

-G

Other sample:

Original:

Direct import import into AS:

After color correction:

Anme file (colors corrected):

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/SIMPSON.anme

PS: Holy cow!
JCook

Post by JCook »

I read this thread on Monday, and went to take a look, was amazed and bookmarked the site. Then, as I was working on a large project of drawings in Illustrator last night, I inadvertently threw away the Illustrator file of one of the drawings. And I emptied the trash. Oh crap! I wailed. But I had a JPEG of the file, and in the back of my mind I remembered something about vectorizing with amazing quality. Good thing I had bookmarked the site! I went there, uploaded the JPEG, and downloaded an EPS file. I opened the EPS in Illustrator, had to tweak just a few things, and printed out the result. Amazing! It would have taken me many hours to redraw the illustration. This site saved my little nasty butt. Thanks SO much for posting this!

Jack