Have anyone tryed synfig?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Have anyone tryed synfig?

Post by Genete »

There are a pair of topics in the forum about it but they were from a long time ago.
Finaly synfighas become a OpenSource program and it seems that the production release is not so far away. It istill being under development.

I'm planning to update my system at the end of this year to Ububtu 7.10 that have the last release package. My current Ubuntu version (6.10) still have some bugs in synfig package that make it not proper for use.

Have you used it? In which platform? If so, can you give us a feedback?
Thanks
-G
cribble

Post by cribble »

I did try a windows port a while back. The drawing tools were brilliant, though a little hard to tweek. Mainly because i'm not used to vector splines/nodes/whatever you call them.

I think they need to optimize the way it operates. You have to download loads of additional software to make compile and run properly. Sort of sucks in my opinion, but seeing it's still in heavy development i can understand the need to have such tools running.

I didn't quite get around to animating in it, because i was trying to get my head around the interface and drawing tools. But i can see where this software is going and how it'll be brilliant to make something with it. But it'll take longer to learn, create, draw, animate stuff.... but i guess that'll make you focus on making things more accurate maybe?

Does it have swf output? i can't remember.
--Scott
cribble.net
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I tried it awhile ago. It crashed a lot on windows and was quickly gone off my system. I currently have Ubuntu version (7.04) on one machine that has two hard drives. I find that I can not add any software other than the preset stuff.

Dale
Genete

Post by Genete »

I find that I can not add any software other than the preset stuff.
Weird. One of the most cool feature of any linux distribution is the ability to install and customize the software you want/need. A working version of synfig is in its repositories. just go to add/remove application and search for synfig in the text box.
-G
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Sorry, I'm tired. Day job has long boring hours. I mean when I try to install packages like zweistein video editor. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I never get past the unzipping.

Dale
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hey! thanks for the link to that video editor!. I have to make a try. If I succefully can install it I let you know.
Reading the installation instruction it seems you should untar the compressed file and run a script installation file (typically a install.sh file)
Some software don't have packages for specific ditributions and only make a automatic installation script valid for all the distributions. The bad new is that this method don't check out dependencies on libraries (usually they don't need it) and an update for a new version is not normally automatically supported like in the debian repository system.
-G
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I have used it a few times and it has the strangest layout for a video editor ever. But once you get past the where they put everything, it does have some nice tools. I used the chroma key that works almost as good as Aftereffects. That was on windows. My current Video editor is Magix Movie edit pro 10. To get it to work on my new machine "Vista" I will have to buy version 12. I'm happy with 10. If the computer had XP, I wouldn't have to re-buy the same software.

This get me thinking that in another five years from now, I will have to re-buy all my software again, then again, then again, each time Gates wants more billions.

Dale
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Haven't tried Synfig, but Zweistein is now called ZS4 if you missed that. zs4.net.
Genete

Post by Genete »

I was makeing a deep reading of the FAQ's and tutoriasl of synfig wiki (not so good but something at least) and I have fixed one of the "bug" that make me synfig not usable. Even I have rendered a single animation of a moving circle.
I encourage all linux users (windows nd Mac as well)to try the last release. I have the previous one installed and it crashes less frequently and the usage is being to be quite intuitive.
It have a feature that I would LOVE for AS. It is called "link". You can link two variable properties of any two (or more) objects (layers) in the hierarchy. For instance you can link the color of one vector object to the color of other vector object ANYWHERE in the hierarchy. If you change the color in the timeline of one object, then the other would follow as well and vice versa.
You can link also points of the shapes, thickness, and so on.
The transition curve for movements (points, colors or any float variable) can be customized as well as selected from some presets. The customized one have a lot of control so if you have enough ability you can create a curve that simulates a rotation projection what is good for those desired head turns.

If this program could implement bones like AS it would be eve better!
(:oops: Sorry, I'm so exited because it runs on linux and it is opensource/free!!!)
-G
cribble

Post by cribble »

I might give it another chance on mac again... but you have to install so much stuff.... :(
--Scott
cribble.net
Genete

Post by Genete »

Here a sample done in half an hour.
It have lots of errors but it is only a test of usage. It is great! I only miss bones!!! :(

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/synfig/flower.mov

-G
cribble

Post by cribble »

Actually... nevermind. I'll have to wait for their issue for mac to be taken care of.
--Scott
cribble.net
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

I have tried synfig a long time ago, v. 0.61.04, running osx, actually I launched synfig today again just to see if it worked and it did, now I'm running osx 10.4.10. I remember I had to manually fix a bug so it could find all icons.
I made this at that time:

http://www.musikboden.se/other%20projec ... 0-pop.html

cheers
Genete

Post by Genete »

This is an example of what you can do with synfig effects:
Water effect:
http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/synfig/agua2.mov
http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/synfig/agua.sif (the synfig file)

A blue rectangle and two effects of noise gradient with different blending mode (luminance for one and subtract for the other)

I think it could be used in combination with Anime Studio to make special effects.
-G
human

Post by human »

Genete wrote:Here a sample done in half an hour.
It have lots of errors but it is only a test of usage. It is great! I only miss bones!!! :(

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/synfig/flower.mov

-G
Nice, nice.