Ubuntu Linux

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sour_jax

Ubuntu Linux

Post by sour_jax »

Don't like Windows??? Try Ubuntu

I've got it on both my PCs now. One as a dual boot with Vista and the other is straight Ubuntu. I love it, eventually I'll switch completely but I don't want to buy a Linux version of ASP just yet.

Anybody else tried it?
The best things in life are free! Salvation, being the greatest!

Visit http://www.handbookforlife.com
Genete

Post by Genete »

My operating system is linux. And only linux since 7 years ago (or more I don't remember yet). From a year more or less I work with Ubuntu and my current version is 6.10.
I can say you that ASP version for linux works very well. I haven't had any big problem beyond the same bugs the application share with the others versions.

Switching to linux you'll loose some things (but you can live without them)

1) You can not export directly to a movie. You can only export to a image sequence. My favorite format is PNG. I use two command line applications to convert the image sequence to a mov file: png2yuv and ffmpeg. If you're usual linux user then you'll know what I'm talking about. Later you should composite your sound with a video editor. I suggest cinelerra. I believe swf can include sound but not sure. For my style of drawing, swf is not the best option.
2) You cannot use copy / paste text from any other application in Gnome or KDE. It is due ASP for linux have its own GUI.

Fazek made a small application to use mplayer to view the image sequence wihtout somposite it into a video. It is a very good help.

I have the current version of AS for linux and they have corrected some bugs and improve the windows behavior (floating windows are always over the main window and hide when the main window hide). Also the help filesystem have been improved. On the other hand ASP for linux is more or less the same than the other ones.

My recommendation is that you wait for the next release of ASP for linux that hold the same (and waited) update for the end of jun. It is supossed to be released later in time. If you're going to invest into the linux version then you'll not obtain nothing really new from the current version of ASP for Windows.

Meanwhile you could download the trial version and see how it works.

Welcome to the linux community!
-G
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

That's made by Mark Shuttleworth, the first African in space, if I'm not mistaken
sour_jax

Post by sour_jax »

Genete wrote:My operating system is linux. And only linux since 7 years ago (or more I don't remember yet). From a year more or less I work with Ubuntu and my current version is 6.10.
I can say you that ASP version for linux works very well. I haven't had any big problem beyond the same bugs the application share with the others versions.

Switching to linux you'll loose some things (but you can live without them)
I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and will update when 7.10 is released in October. So far I'm finding great alternatives to the stuff I use. iTunes is really the only hold out.
Genete wrote: 1) You can not export directly to a movie. You can only export to a image sequence. My favorite format is PNG. I use two command line applications to convert the image sequence to a mov file: png2yuv and ffmpeg. If you're usual linux user then you'll know what I'm talking about. Later you should composite your sound with a video editor. I suggest cinelerra. I believe swf can include sound but not sure. For my style of drawing, swf is not the best option.
2) You cannot use copy / paste text from any other application in Gnome or KDE. It is due ASP for linux have its own GUI.
Are png2yuv, cinelerra, and ffmpeg "Open Software"? Is it available through Synaptic? Oh and by the way THANK YOU for the info on Imagemagick.
Genete wrote: Fazek made a small application to use mplayer to view the image sequence wihtout somposite it into a video. It is a very good help.
Where can I get this app at?
Genete wrote: I have the current version of AS for linux and they have corrected some bugs and improve the windows behavior (floating windows are always over the main window and hide when the main window hide). Also the help filesystem have been improved. On the other hand ASP for linux is more or less the same than the other ones.

My recommendation is that you wait for the next release of ASP for linux that hold the same (and waited) update for the end of jun. It is supossed to be released later in time. If you're going to invest into the linux version then you'll not obtain nothing really new from the current version of ASP for Windows.

Meanwhile you could download the trial version and see how it works.
I agree that buy the current version of ASP for linux would be a waste of my money since I have a perfectly good version for Windows. I think I will download that trial version and take a test drive.
Genete wrote: Welcome to the linux community!
-G
Thanks, it amazes me how linux really is like a big family. I have only used Ubuntu Linux for a few days and I've got a long way to go, but so far I LOVE IT.
The best things in life are free! Salvation, being the greatest!

Visit http://www.handbookforlife.com
Genete

Post by Genete »

I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and will update when 7.10 is released in October. So far I'm finding great alternatives to the stuff I use. iTunes is really the only hold out.
My experience tell me that it is better keep one version back than be up to date. There are always some not known bugs that are solved once the version is released. Specially with graphic video issues.
Are png2yuv, cinelerra, and ffmpeg "Open Software"? Is it available through Synaptic? Oh and by the way THANK YOU for the info on Imagemagick.
png2yuv is part of mjpegtools (installable via apt-get in multiverse area)

cinelerra have a binary package for Ubuntu search. Look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinelerra

and ffmpeg... what can I say ... a lot of programs use ffmpeg code to do its job. You have to install it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffmpeg

Fazek mplayer ...
Where can I get this app at?
http://www.firkafilm.com/moho/index.html
taken from a sticky thread in scripting area.

Cheers!