Toon Boom Storyboard

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MarkBorok

Toon Boom Storyboard

Post by MarkBorok »

Just got an email today about the release of a storyboard program from Toon Boom. This is the "non-pro", low end version of their $800 Storyboard Pro software.

The remarkable thing is, they are charging $250 for a program that has no real advantage, as far as I can see, over using paper and pencil. At least with Storyboard Pro you have the ability to create animatics, which isn't worth $800 by itself (esp. if you already have Flash or any video editing program), but I could see a studio with deep pockets integrating a program like this into their workflow. The new, low end program looks like it's basically a page layout thing for storyboards, aimed at the more casual user. I just downloaded a free plug-in for Mirage that seems like it does pretty much the same thing, although maybe without the text editing features.

Storyboard doesn't even output to Flash, and neither Storyboard nor Storyboard Pro outputs to Toon Boom Studio. The point of this program is lost on me.
JCook

Post by JCook »

I've been using Celtx for storyboarding. It's free.

http://www.celtx.com/

jack
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Celtx is AMAZING!

Total project management AND storyboarding. Plus it runs on my Mac which is a huge bonus for me. ;)

And it's free... I can't figure out how anyone can compete with that with commercial software. Maybe this means that commercial programs will have to become "extra special" to justify the cost.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

And linux too!!! :D