Adobe's new media player

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

human

Adobe's new media player

Post by human »

http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/news ... dia_Player

Adobe unveils new Media Player
By Stevie Smith Apr 16, 2007, 13:10 GMT

Adobe Systems Inc. has today officially uncovered its new Adobe Media Player...

...download and view video content offline, full-screen playback, one-click viewer ratings, and also a Favorites feature that automatically downloads the latest episodes of a user’s favorite TV shows or podcasts. Built on open standards such as RSS and SMIL, Adobe’s Media Player will also be able to grant users with the ability to enjoy the Web’s most popular video format beyond the restrictions of their browser...

...viewer-centric dynamic advertising and the ability to customise the presentation of the player on the fly to synch with the brand or theme of the content playing at that time...

...gives contributing media companies the opportunity to securely offer ad-supported video content while leaving the consumer with the feeling that they truly ‘own’ their media through the online and offline flexibility. ..
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Sounds like Adobe are just hitting the same market as the immensely bloated M$ mediaplayer and RealPlayers have. And judging by other "free" adobe products I dont think this is going to be less bloated (overly heavy Acrobat reader at 60mb comes to mind...)

What would be interesting is a player for videoproduction. One that to start with let you step forward and backward with frame accuracy and lets you scrub your material. And without all the bling-bling of other players. The only player that are not bundled with postproduction/editing-tools in the >1000£ category that comes close is the Quicktime-player, (if you're satisfied with video only scrubbing at least).
human

Post by human »

I didn't think this would be of interest from the point of view of another applicaton to install on your computer--who cares.

The only reason this is worth mentioning is because of the distribution angle for the content which presumably some of you are creating...
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

The other thing to "worry" about is enforced viewing of ads. It may not be a separate stand-alone player, it may be what flash turns into.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6558979.stm

jorgy
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Good grief!

I just read about MS trying to kill Flash and QT with that.... "Silverlight" thing.

They should just knock it off and focus on their OS. Vista is so perfect now that they have time to develop yet ANOTHER media player? They got 3 now right? ;)

p.s. For some reason when I heard about "Silverlight" I thought of beer.

-vern
human

Post by human »

heyvern wrote:Good grief!

I just read about MS trying to kill Flash and QT with that.... "Silverlight" thing.

They should just knock it off and focus on their OS. Vista is so perfect now that they have time to develop yet ANOTHER media player? They got 3 now right? ;)

p.s. For some reason when I heard about "Silverlight" I thought of beer.

-vern
I hadn't heard of Silverlight but I just looked it up...

How can you take this seriously, Vern?

I mean, after all, the product logo is a blue thong.

Maybe you should outfit your toonbabe in this?

Color coordinates, and all that...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The blue thong!

That's why I thought of beer! All those... women... in the commercials.

;)

What cracks me up is that MS keeps getting companies and media providers to "sign up" with them to use something new... then... they discontinue support later when it fails and leave people hanging (playsforsure anyone?).

-vern
cribble

Post by cribble »

Hot!
--Scott
cribble.net