AS vs Solo discussion kicks off

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sempie

Post by Sempie »

slowtiger wrote:Sempie: In my recent job we are expected to turn out 15 sec of character animation a day - in AS. One animator is even said to do 30 sec a day.

Squash & stretch are quite nicely done in AS by means of bone stretching.

Have you ever tested a Wacom Cintiq? It is a combination of tablet and flatscreen. I used Wacom tablets for a decade but was never able to animate with it. The Cintiq has changed that. I didn't believe it, but the difference is really big. Test it with Mirage, a nice little bitmap animation package currently at 549$.
Unfortunately, I'm just a poor free lance artist, not a large company with an unlimited budget. The Cintiq would be way out of my price range: I already need to invest in a new PC. (I'm curently working on a six years old 1.6Ghz Pentium 4 system, that up until now has mainly been used privately, not professionally - in the studio I used to work I had a lot beefier system at my disposal.)

I'm curious to the type of animation you're producing at 15 secs per day.
Is this basically limited talking heads stuff or broad action and acting with a lot of facial animation, not just a mouth opening and closing?

For the Solo test scenes I did there are key frames for about every third frame, and I'm using a lot of squash, stretch and overlapping action into the animation to give it a classical feel, even if I'm limited to two dimensions instead of three. We want to get closer to, say, classic Tom & Jerry than to Johnny Bravo.

(I noticed you're Berlin based, could it be that you're working for Cartoon Film or Hahn?)
Last edited by Sempie on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sempie

Post by Sempie »

jahnocli wrote:
sempie wrote:There wasn't even onion skinning...
This is just not true -- Flash has had onion-skinning for a long time (way before version 5). So, it's an interesting post, but you need to get your facts straight if you are mouthing off (as I have found so often in the past!)

J
Even if it had onion skinning (I cannot remember it, but I haven't opened Flash 5 since 2001, so I might have forgotten about it), the point remains that I suck at drawing with Wacoms, especially with bezier curves. Unless the current version of Flash can work with rigged characters and is organised like a compositing program like Animo or Toonz, it is simply not for me.
Sempie

Post by Sempie »

cribble wrote:This discussion gets a 'whatever, you bevels'.

If you like Solo, go use it. If you like Flash, go use it. If you like AS, go use it. Simple. If you like some of the above and not all of them... you get the idea. No need to argue bollocks about wherever it can be used professionally or if its just a toy.

It's a toy/professional tool to the beholder.

:roll:
This is not entirely true.
In order for a tool to be professional it needs to be reliable, have the sort of output you need, in the quality and style you need.
Believe me, as soon as tight deadlines come into play, you wouldn't want to have based your pipeline on software that isn't up to that particular job.
There's a reason why movies are cut on Avid systems and not with Premiere - Premiere is renowned for crashing a lot, and is not for working under pressure.
Flash may be professional, but it would be the wrong way to go if you want to do Snow White and the Seven Dwarves or Lion King.
Poser may be nice, but could they have done Ratatouille with it?
There's a lot of animation shows out there that have Solo & co written all over it - limited, sterile and stiff, a certain graphic look and nothing more to go for it, and we want to make certain that we can do something on it that has a more classic feel to it. We want funny physical action and some at least basic acting, not a show that relies on one liners spoken by talking heads.

Liking is an OK argument if you are completely free to work in any style you wish at your own leisure, with the possibility to improvise a lot, and change your mind along the way. As soon as the beholders are the people that put several hundreds of thousands of Euros in your little venture, and expect, ot demand, a defined style and overall quality within a certain timeframe, that's a whole different ballgame.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Someone actually did do a hand drawn "Disney" style full length feature animation using Flash and a bit of AS. One person.

Each frame was drawn by hand and scanned in and "traced". Apparently he used Flash v4.

AS (moho at the time) was used for creating motion in large crowd scenes I think or at least for some secondary motion (easier to do that then drawing each frame). I remember reading this from the author on the website... that unfortunately I can't find at the moment (I think it was posted here).

The tools don't matter. I believe that as well. Professional shmofessional... its not the tools its the artist. A writer can use a pencil to write a best selling book... an artist can use the same pencil to create a great work of art... or even a great animation.

-vern
Sempie

Post by Sempie »

heyvern wrote:Someone actually did do a hand drawn "Disney" style full length feature animation using Flash and a bit of AS. One person.

Each frame was drawn by hand and scanned in and "traced". Apparently he used Flash v4.

AS (moho at the time) was used for creating motion in large crowd scenes I think or at least for some secondary motion (easier to do that then drawing each frame). I remember reading this from the author on the website... that unfortunately I can't find at the moment (I think it was posted here).

The tools don't matter. I believe that as well. Professional shmofessional... its not the tools its the artist. A writer can use a pencil to write a best selling book... an artist can use the same pencil to create a great work of art... or even a great animation.

-vern
I know who you're talking about: veteran Disney animator and Amblimation director Phil Nibbelink did Sealed With A Kiss with Flash - I believe he actually used a Wacom tablet to draw directly in Flash 4, and skipped the paper altogether. Good for him, if he could do that, I suck with Wacoms, I would need the much more time consuming pencil and paper route. (Like I did for this computer game I worked at, where my pencil drawings needed to be traced in Illustrator and then imported into Flash. There's no budget for that in our production.)

The tools still need to suit you.
I have used pencils for creating animation for feature film productions.
I could not re-create any of these scenes using a Wacom and Flash.
I have done animation in Aura/Mirage on a Wacom, I know my limitations there. Extremely sloppy, wobbely lines only. That's a limitation I have to take into account. (Until I have the kind of dough to afford a Cintiq, maybe. But I really need to try one of these things out before I spend that sort of cash.)
I prefer good old pencil 1.0 above any fancy schmancy computer program, actually, (even prefer traditional cell art and a rostrum camera over digital ink and paint and compositing software), but the costs involved in traditionally drawn full animation are prohibitive.
The ONLY reasons why we're contemplating Solo or Anime Studio are production schedule and production costs. If we'd had had a larger budget, I would have animated everything by hand, pencil on paper.

As far as I know it, Nibbelink's film was somewhat of a private venture.
He lived off his savings for the entire production time - five years. (I could not even last five months). It was a one man show: he did not have to care about the wages of employees, no deadlines other than his own (he still had to work 24/7 to make certain that his savings would not run out before completing the film), not the hot breath of producers and distributors in his neck.
It was a free production of sorts: he had no producers while animating, had his family provide the voice acting, and only went out to sell the film when it was nearly finished.
He had severe difficulites finding a distributor.
And it then basically flopped big time at the box office.

You've got to admire this sort of dedication, but I think my art still needs to pay my rent - I prefer not to use my PC sitting under a bridge.
I may have turned my hobby into my profession, but at the end of the month, it still has to cover a basic cost of living. I don't want to sacrifice my life's savings on animation the Nibbelink way.

Your Nibbelink example is a very romantic sort of obsessed artist's story.
(I should ask my collegue about him - he used to work for Amblimation and should know Nibbelink personally)
But it's hardly examplary for everyday animation business.
Especially in Europe, animation is basically about bare survival these days, especially when you're not into 3D.
Last edited by Sempie on Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

No, Sempie is right on that account. If you get paid and have a deadline to meet, you need to choose the best fitting tool. The one that really is reliable, the one that is able to deliver the kind of output the client wants, the one that assists you in every possible way in your workflow, instead of forcing you to perform unnecessary actions.

Most times it will be a combination of tools.

Sempie: I worked for Hahn, long ago.
Sempie

Post by Sempie »

slowtiger wrote: Sempie: I worked for Hahn, long ago.
I'm Munich based myself, but worked in Berlin for a short time, as an animator on the first Little Polarbear film. I never worked for Hahn, but I worked with some former Hahn people, like Tahsin, Walter Koessler and Joerg Volk. It's a small world.

From what you wrote, you seem to be quite positive about Anime Studio, and I will certainly give it a try. Solo can generate the animation style we're looking for, but we are hoping for something a little bit more user friendly, and Anime Studio seems to be just that.

Vielen dank!
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

I had tried the trial of TB Studio 4 two months ago and it was like Microsoft Paint studio haha....but in my opinion if u own Anime Studio and Photoshop any version above 6 u have a complete animation solution on ur com. i've been using macromedia flash for 2 yrs and it was really pain in the ass to make 5 min. animation until i bought AS 5, my work got 40 % much faster than before. The bone rig feature that AS got, is one of the best techn. i've seen in any 2d animation software...unlike flash shape morphing is alot easier and reliable and there are many useful tools and options pre-available that u would import from external graphics softwares make ur work alot easier. Lastly AS is one of the best animation software available for any graphic animator

this was the 1st animtion i made right within 1 month after buying AS 5

http://www.stage6.com/user/realsnake/vi ... 2/Memories
dueyftw

my two cents

Post by dueyftw »

I have both. A licence copy of ToonBoom 3.5 and Moho (now Anime Studio Pro.). I got both about the same time. If you are doing animation the old way, frame by frame. ToonBoom is an assistant that should not be ignored. But that is not the way animation is done on a computer. You brake everything down to layers and animate each layer. (Photoshop with movement) But Photoshop is a raster program. Both ToonBoom and Anime Studio are vector and anything you can do in ToonBoom you can do in Anime Studio but how do get soft lines in Toonboom so that they look like airbrush? or warp raster pictures or getting a head turn with four pegs? and the list go on. If you can get past the fact the Anime Studio has drawing tools for vector not raster and doesn’t try to emulate raster drawing tool set you will find as I did that Anime Studio works a lot better than ToonBoom.

Dale
Last edited by dueyftw on Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

Well for photoshop i wouldn't recommend to be use as character animation as it requires a lot of efforts. Just export ur raster image through anme exporter make sure to cut out parts (that need to be animate) into layers and bone rig techn. would do the rest even with a little knowledge.

an example would be
the original animation is a lot more detailed and was made on AdobeP 7 animated on AS but this is just a 201*170 gif image
Matsuemon

Rastor vs. Vector

Post by Matsuemon »

Touched wrote:What I notice about the user who called AS a "toy" only suitable for cutout animation is that he's basing his opinion on the startup file, Windsor, which is a cutout style puppet. Since Windsor is a collection of raster files, first-time users are presented with a heavily-restricted puppet which cannot be distorted by point animation. No wonder they think of it as a toy. I think E-frontier would do well to provide a vector-based puppet for the startup file.
Hey Touched!
So, I'm a newbie when it comes to animation, although I'm familiar with some of the software and terminology. I'm currently testing out Anime Studio, so I was intrigued by your comment, because I did notice that the start up file was cut-out style. So if I'm understanding your comment, you're saying that the vector-based models are more realistic and allow for a wider range of motions/distortions than the Windsor, raster-type characters?

Still getting used to some of the terminology, but because your comment really hit home for me, I wanted to make sure I fully grasped what you were saying. Talk to you soon and thanks for your time. Oh, I saw some of your work (Drow something, can't remember the whole name) and it was very good! I'll check out your other stuff this weekend. Bye for now
Touched

Post by Touched »

Vector models are infinitely more flexible than raster models, because while rasters can only be manipulated by bones, with vectors you can control every single vector point individually, independent of the others, and relative to bone movement. Thus you can distort the character exactly the way you want to, be it to change expressions, make an eye blink, change the angle (head rotations, etc.)

Raster models, on the other hand, must have new drawn images swapped out to create the illusion of a change of expression or angle, and the change is jerkier the fewer images you use, while with vector the transition is as smooth as you want it. If you want to make an eye blink, for example, with rasters you have to draw (in Photoshop or other program) an open eye, a closed eye, and several partially closed eyes. Double that if you want a different expression. With vectors, you just have to move the points.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Touched,
Wow ok I see what you're saying. So jeez, vector models sound way easier and more flexible. I guess my next question would have to be, does Anime Pro come with any, and/or are there any sites where you can buy some? Also, is there a way to draw a model yourself, then basically turn it into a vector model with all the points you described? Sorry if that is a silly question, but I have no idea haha.
Thanks for your input and your time. Talk to you soon and have a great weekend
Touched

Post by Touched »

Matsuemon wrote:Hey Touched,
Wow ok I see what you're saying. So jeez, vector models sound way easier and more flexible. I guess my next question would have to be, does Anime Pro come with any, and/or are there any sites where you can buy some? Also, is there a way to draw a model yourself, then basically turn it into a vector model with all the points you described? Sorry if that is a silly question, but I have no idea haha.
Thanks for your input and your time. Talk to you soon and have a great weekend
Anime Studio has several example vector characters in its library. Try File>Import>Characters, and I think there are some scattered around in individual user folders. There are also a lot of examples scattered around on this forum in the Tips and How Do I sections. And yes, of course you can scan any of your drawings, import them into AS, and trace them with the vector tools. Just study the examples first so you can see how best to approach the tracing (which shapes are attached to what, and where), and post further questions in a new thread in the How Do I section, along with examples of what you've done so far.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey guys,
I was reading this thread and you all talked about some very interesting things. I have a couple questions for anyone who would like to voice an opinion.

First, AS is great from what I've seen so far. One of the only complaints I have is that you're limited to the amount of detail you can put in a character model. For example, if I wanted to draw a really detailed model of a superhero, with rippling muscles, or a detailed model of a dragon with all his scales, AS just wouldn't be feasable, at least not as vector layers. What do you guys recommend for that kind of model? Do you still us AS or do you use another program for more realistic, detailed models?

Secondly, you guys talked a lot about Animation Master, which I had read a lot about a while back. In fact, after seeing some downright STUNNING professional animation done with that program, I had almost decided to buy it. The only thing that stopped me was the creator of that cartoon told me that development on that program really seemed to have slowed to a crawl and it didn't seem like it was keeping up with the market any longer, so he said it was very good, but unless something changed, it wouldn't be a good long-term investment. So I'm curious what you guys think about that?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.