Creatoon for free!! :D

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Haki

Creatoon for free!! :D

Post by Haki »

Important notice: CreaToon 3.0 is now available for FREE download!

Due to a recent management decision, we decided to discontinue further developments to update CreaToon. Therefore, CreaToon is now available for FREE download, without further technical support. Don't forget to also download the unlock software, also available on the download page.
happy downloading ;)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

:shock: "without further technical support"

That is marketing-speak for: "You will need to organize your own technical support." And because the source is not opened up, this means expensive reverse engineering.

Not totally free, only free to download and use. I'm not tempted to try this, even if I had a PC with Windows on it.
animations4you

Post by animations4you »

I really liked the progam - nice GUI!
And so many good tutorials!!!

But...
I tried to follow the make a mouth tutorial... but... told me to click the Sketch icon and then clicking on the face in the scene graph but I do not get the tools!!! to make the mouth with!

Why???

I really want to sketch a bit!
Hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong... or the sketch tool is taken away???
:roll:
DK

Post by DK »

The computer software magazine I used to write for wanted me to do a review on Creatoon about three years ago. I contacted Creatoon marketing and asked for a review copy of the software. They just sent me a standard demo CD. I asked them why they sent me a limited demo and not a review copy. They asked why I needed a full working copy and were quite rude about it to boot.

D.K
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

That is good inside info there, DK. It means this company will probably never offer support, even if you'd beg for it and pay them money. Good support is 90% of any software, so no support means truly bad software.

Knowing this, I advice against using it for professional animation production. You do not want to realize half-way your production that you need support to finish the animation, and you will not get it, meaning that a lot of money, time and effort is spent for nothing, and some people will go bankrupt.
DK

Post by DK »

Totally agree with you Rasheed. This is what made Moho stand above all the rest since versions 2.2, (just quietly, I think I still have that version lying around the studio somewhere :)

D.K
animations4you

Post by animations4you »

For sure you are right!!!

But CreaToon is free and schools with small budgets can use it - to let the pupills try to animate. And someones will find it good and they can buy AS. CreaToon can be a good start!

Or perhaps you know other free animation programs?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

You get what you pay for.
The400th

Post by The400th »

But CreaToon is free and schools with small budgets can use it - to let the pupills try to animate. And someones will find it good and they can buy AS. CreaToon can be a good start!
The LAST thing we want is schools using Creatoon, as there's no upgrade path to AS. Also, what about schools using Mac or Linux?

Better to have an affordable educational version of AS, so that when they have money, they will naturally buy ASPro.

Creatoon was a spin-off from university research, that's why it was never really a serious player in the market. I remember someone saying to me (when it wasn't free) that if you're buying it in Europe you're paying for it twice (because you already paid for the development with your taxes).

Hmmm, maybe LM could move to Europe and get the EU to pay for AS to be developed further... :D
cribble

Post by cribble »

I was sick everywhere when i used this.

Why is it sooo hard to draw and animate stuff?! Forget this.
--Scott
cribble.net