How do you use gile[s] with Moho?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Barry Baker

How do you use gile[s] with Moho?

Post by Barry Baker »

I just purchased gile[s], the illumination editor, and I'm having trouble exporting models for use in Moho. I always seem to end up with two separate models, one containing the colour information but no lighting, and the other is saved with the lightmap, but no colours or textures. And the lighting, which looked great in gile[s] suddenly looks really dull and grey in Moho.

Has anyone got any tips to impart about this subject? (I know that Lost Marble used gile[s] to generate the lightmap in the 3D object tutorial 6.8_2 fro example - how did you get all of the colour and lighting on one UV map?) It's driving me mad!!!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Well, gile[s] exports two model because the OBJ format doesn't allow for multi-texturing.

The way to import the result into Moho is this:

1. First make sure your version of Moho is at least 5.0.3. You can get the update here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/extras/updates.shtml

2. Import the light map OBJ file. It should appear as a grayscale-shaded model in Moho. If the model is way too large or too small, run the Auto-Scale script to resize it. If you don't have the Auto-Scale script, you can get it here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/extras/scripts.shtml

3. Import the regular textured OBJ file. Again, run the Auto-Scale script if the model is way too big or too small. You may not see this model at first, since it overlaps the original one exactly.

4. Double-click the second 3D layer to bring up the Layer Settings dialog. In the General tab, set the blending mode to Overlay. Then, in the 3D Options tab, turn on the "Reset Z buffer" checkbox.

What these settings do is first to tell Moho to draw both models. (Resetting the Z buffer makes the second model visible, even though it overlaps exactly the first model.) Then, the blending mode combines the texture and the shading effects.

Feel free to play around with which model is on top of the other, and which blending mode you prefer.

Ultimately, you should probably put both layers in a group so that you can treat them as a single layer. Also, to speed up Moho in editing mode, you can turn on the "Hide in editing view" layer option for one of the layers.
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

:) Thanks! I wasn't too far away from success after all.