Comic Book Creator

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Comic Book Creator

Post by DK »

I found this fantastic little app called Comic Book Creator and was really excited with the possibilities of using it with AS. After installing with it and playing around i created my comic and then tried publishing it (saving it to the formats available). I was extremely dissapointed with the output quality as there are no vector export formats available. I could'nt understand this as it lets you publish to pdf format which I know supports vector based objects. If anyone wants to download it I would love to hear why it won't export to a vector based pdf file? If there was a way around it it would be a brilliant litttle app for putting your own AS Comics together.

http://www.mycomicbookcreator.com/conte ... content.10

D.K
myles

Post by myles »

Hi D.K,

Looks like a neat little program, but I suspect I am misunderstanding something about the nature of the program or your comment.

I haven't downloaded or installed it, but just going from the web site and FAQs alone it appears that this app (which apparently does layout of existing artwork) only imports artwork in raster format rather than vector, so I'm not sure vector export in itself would improve quality, except in text and word balloons - it would also need vector import of artwork? (I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, you were talking about output quality of artwork and not the output quality of text and word balloons)

It looks like you can import at any resolution, so would creating your artwork in print resolution or higher screen resolution (larger files, but better output quality) improve the output quality? (output dimensions * 300dpi = pixel dimensions to render for print quality)
Vector output can't improve low-resolution raster input.

I'm sure you know all about this resolution, raster, and vector stuff, so again I think I must be missing a point somewhere.

Were you in fact talking about the output quality of the text and word balloons? Or does even large-size artwork deteriorate in quality when displayed/printed?

Regards, Myles - confused.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Myles,
I managed to get it to successfully import a wmf file or an eps, i can't remember which but it was the same file type as one of their own vector formats they were using for a couple of the word balloons. When i tried to output to pdf it seemed to rasterize them for some reason???

Cheers
D.K
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There's something similar on my new iMac at work, have to check wether it can do more than just draw nifty speech bubbles over photographs.
DK

Post by DK »

Yes, There are some nice apps on the macs. I would love to have an application like Comic Book Creator to go with AS though. It would save BUCKET loads of time putting together cartoon strips, comics and storyboards. Just call up your library of AS characters and just assemble.

Cheers
D.K
myles

Post by myles »

Ah, if it can do .wmf or .eps import, I now understand what you're talking about. I didn't see that in their web pages.

Thanks D.K!

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Myles,

I just did it again and managed to import an .emf file.
I'm assuming that this is a vector format?

D.K
DK

Post by DK »

This is interesting. When exporting it convert the wmf files to a raster but the vector word balloons export as vector???

D.K
DK

Post by DK »

Sorry....i meant exports emf files not wmf in my last post.

D.K