Toon Boom Storyboard

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

LostAndFound

Toon Boom Storyboard

Post by LostAndFound »

I think, I read a post asking how to use Moho for storyboard. Now Toonboom released a specific product for that

http://toonboom.com/products/storyboard/
LostAndFound//
jeff

Post by jeff »

Wow! A real snip at $899.99! Oh, plus an annual support fee of $99.99.

Jeff
godlike27

Post by godlike27 »

Yep, new from toonboom, What the heck 900 :!: LightWave 3D 8 is 895 :roll:
TB Solo already dropped price from 3000 to 2000 (few days earlier got that email from TB)
I'd love to have that storyboard but not for that price.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

godlike27 wrote:I'd love to have that storyboard but not for that price.
The same...
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

Ridiculous, no? For that kind of money you could get Bauhaus Mirage from bauhaussoftware.com

Actually, the pro version is only $595 and includes the Animator and the Storyboard plugins.

Mirage actually makes a perfect companion to Moho because that would give you compositing and special effects capabilities in addition to the animation and storyboarding stuff.

Bauhaus was actually my first "hope" when I head that LM was working with another company.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Actually, Sequent, Bauhaus and Mirage have parted company and the program has gone back to its roots in France and back too to its original name "TV Paint" after many years in different guises.

Have a look at http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/index.php if you're interested.

Jeff
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

That's very interesting, Jeff.

I had no idea about TVPaint and the various incarnations of the code.

Getting back to the discussion then... either one of these Mirage, or TVPaint or whatever you like to call it might be a far better value than the Toonboom storyboarding solution.

:)
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Sequent wrote:Mirage actually makes a perfect companion to Moho because that would give you compositing and special effects capabilities in addition to the animation and storyboarding stuff.
Unfortunately no one of they has the necessary audio support/features to be free planifing and adjusting, so...
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

Storyboarding is not such a hassle that you would need to spend $800+ on a dedicated program. I've used Flash for storyboards and it worked just fine.

I was at Siggraph the other day and went to the Toonboom booth (I also went to the e-frontier booth and got to talk to Mike - cool!). Toonboom was raffling away a copy of Storyboard. Second prize was Studio. I entered and told them if I won the first prize, I would rather exchange it for the second. I mean, you can do storyboards (or animatics) in Studio, but you can't do animation in Storyboard. How the hell do they figure Storyboard is worth twice as much?
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

jeff wrote:Actually, Sequent, Bauhaus and Mirage have parted company and the program has gone back to its roots in France and back too to its original name "TV Paint" after many years in different guises.

Have a look at http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/index.php if you're interested.

Jeff
Interesting.

First, the Bauhaus site is still up and Mirage is avaiable from them. Maybe they are still developing and distributing it in the U.S.?

Second, looking at the TVpaint forum and the new features, I see they have added the two things that have kept me from buying Mirage before: a rotating drawing area and multiplane camera. Nice.
godlike27

Post by godlike27 »

"The TVPaint technology is being distributed under various names such
as Newtek Aura and Bauhaus Mirage, although at present, TVPaint
Developpement has begun marketing TVPaint under its own name."
article in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVPaint_Animation
yes rotating table is grat feature. actually a must for any 2d animation package.
You sort of can do animation in TB Storyboard as it is shown in presentation video.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hmm. I am sorry if I misled anyone, but I assumed the following statement on TVPaint's home page was the whole story:

TVPaint Developpement, provider of graphic solutions and author of the softwares successively sold under the names TVPaint (trademark of TVPaint Développement), Aura (trademark of Newtek), CBPaint (trademark of MacroSystem) and Mirage (trademark of Bauhaus Software Inc), is the legal owner for the intellectual property rights of these softwares.
On July, 11th 2003, TVPaint Développement has granted to Bauhaus Software company the exclusive distribution rights on the american continent of one of the versions of its technology, sold under the Mirage brand.
This agreement has been canceled with effect on January, 5th 2006, so any diffusion by Bauhaus Software Inc of our technology under this brand is strictly prohibited since that day.

Regarding storyboarding; you can buy a lot of paper and pencils for 900 dollars.

Jeff
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

It was really disconcerting to read that post that you quoted... about the agreement being cancelled, etc. But I suppose maybe that post might be out of date since Bauhaus is still very much selling Mirage and since the post was in January and we are now in August? Perhaps they've come to some sort of agreement. I don't know. :shock:

Seems like eFrontier sells this "illegal" software too:

http://www.e-frontier.com/article/artic ... 7?sbss=667

At any rate... the cool thing is that Mirage users qualify for upgrade pricing to TVPaint.

It seems like the TVPaint folks are only just getting things organized in terms of distribution outside of Europe, etc.

Meanwhile, Board-o-matic, the storyboarding plugin for Mirage only costs about $150 - which is why I initially thought to mention Mirage in this storyboarding discussion. The storyboarding and animator's toolbar plugins are included in Mirage Studio Pro, which is selling for $549.

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/products ... dioPRO.php

If you're focusing on animation and not strictly vector for web, these programs seem like a nice and very powerful companion to Moho.

In the end... $900 or even $549, etc. buys you a LOT of paper and pencils as you say.

:)
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

MarkBorok wrote:Storyboarding is not such a hassle that you would need to spend $800+ on a dedicated program. I've used Flash for storyboards and it worked just fine.

I was at Siggraph the other day and went to the Toonboom booth (I also went to the e-frontier booth and got to talk to Mike - cool!). Toonboom was raffling away a copy of Storyboard. Second prize was Studio. I entered and told them if I won the first prize, I would rather exchange it for the second.
Woo-hoo! I won ToonBoom Studio!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Congratulations!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?