Audacity is pretty darn cool!

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Audacity is pretty darn cool!

Post by heyvern »

I have been playing around with Audacity. This is a free open source audio wave form editing application.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It is really incredibly powerful and very useful.

I recorded my sister using a cheap microphone... in a terrible room (too big... reverb was not good).

In Audacity I was able to remove the noise perfectly. This included a low frequency rumble that I have no idea where it came from.

I was also able to almost entirely ELIMINATE THE REVERB!

I couldn't believe it! The original audio sounded like it was recorded in a public rest room or a high school phys ed shower (it wasn't I assure you).

The final audio almost sounds like a professional studio recording.

Anyway big thumbs up from me. Especially being free... and it also supports several types of plugins for other effects... along with a bunch of the "standard" effects you would expect.

So you can hunt around on the web for other cool effects.

p.s. I used the effect in Audacity called GVerb to remove the reverb from my audio. Just set all the sliders to 0. Then set the "Early Reflection Level" as low as you need to remove the reverb effect. Worked like a charm.

It crashed a few times on my Mac... but not a whole lot. I think I just was pushing too many buttons too fast without saving... and overloaded it.

-vern
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I have to second this recommendation. I've been using it for years on linux, and it's the best recording and processing app I've seen.
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

I've been using this app for a while to do soundtracking manually for character animation. I even created an audio file to visually track frame number by waveform. (Currently defaulted at 15fps.)

- http://www.bones3d.com/moho/15fps.wav

It's not the most pleasing thing to listen to, but it can help a lot in preparing your dope sheets for animation. (I definitely prefer it to the "scrub and match" methods some people tend to use.)
8==8 Bones 8==8