Premiere Elements 2 and Moho

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

moorsel

Premiere Elements 2 and Moho

Post by moorsel »

I happened to use Premiere Elements 1.0 to Edit my quicktime movies generted with moho (mainly superimpose the animotion over "normal" video shot with a dv cam). It work fine for me and the quality was OK. I exported in Moho to quicktime animation with miljoen colors+ for the alpha layer.

However since I have upgraded to premiere elements 2 things are not so good anymore. Whenever I follow the same workflow and use premiere elements 2 to renders my final movie the result is of very poor quality (looks like a movie with a very low resolotion, straight lines become doted lines etc.). Did anyone else use premiere elements 2 with moho and have better results?

In the adobe forums it was suggested that I should use a DV codes and not the animation codes for my quicktimes because premiere elements 2 is focused and performs best for digital video. I could do this, however does the DV codec have the support for the alpha channel (I am not sure)?

Does anybody have tips to bypass or solve this limitation? Could anyone suggest another video editor, supporting quicktimes better and in a comparable price range ($100) (or should I keep on using premiere elements 1).
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

should I keep on using premiere elements 1
That's a question only you can answer. But if Elements 1 does all you want to do, my advice would be "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
The400th

Post by The400th »

Check your settings in Elements 2, it may be that there's new ones that you haven't seen that cause the quality degradation. Or ask on a dedicated Elements 2 forum, I'm sure there's others with similar problems.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Re: Premiere Elements 2 and Moho

Post by Lost Marble »

moorsel wrote:In the adobe forums it was suggested that I should use a DV codes and not the animation codes for my quicktimes because premiere elements 2 is focused and performs best for digital video. I could do this, however does the DV codec have the support for the alpha channel (I am not sure)?
I can't answer about Premiere Elements specifically, but no, the DV codec does not support alpha. However, I would say keep rendering from Moho with the Animation codec, and try rendering your final result from Premiere with the DV codec. The final result doesn't need an alpha channel.

The other thing to look into is interlacing settings in Premiere. Is it assuming that your Moho video is interlaced (because it isn't)?
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Try Avid (formerly Pinnicle) Studio which can usually be had on sale cheep; well below $100.
moorsel

Post by moorsel »

I reinstalled my copy of Premiere Elements 2 and this time I selected English as language for the interface (I was working with a setup wich used Dutch as the interface language). In the Dutch setup for some strange reason only the main workflow is in Dutch and the more advanced features appear in spanish (which I don't understand). After reinstalling chossing English as the language, I was able to understand these more advanced options better. As a result of this I was able to solve most of the other issues I had (it was possible for me to render out a quicktime with the results I expected, although I had to play a little bit with all the options available, for some reasons the defaults of PE 1 and PE2 differ, just applying the defaults in PE2 lead for me to an unacceptable results, only after playing a little bit with all setting I was able to create a set-up which rendered out a quicktime that was OK)

Thanx for the help!

PS In the meanwhile I also tried Vegas MovieStudio and this Video Editong software looked quite good to me (I think I prefer it over PE), does anybody have any experience with Vegas MovieStudio?