codecs for export formats.

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

maggie

codecs for export formats.

Post by maggie »

I have been reading Moho's 'export formats'. It says AVI on Windows doesn't include any built-in codecs to support alpha channels- and as suggested I have obtained the Huffyuv codec which does. But... can someone tell me how I use it with Windows, will Windows know it's there and use it automatically? I haven't tried anything with it yet, but as I do wish to composite Moho movies with other video editing programs- think I might need it. I do have quicktime, but not the full version. I was going to buy the latest, but then I read the 'feedback' on it and all the 'crash' stories put me off! so.... any recommendations please. Ultimately I would use arcsoft dvd program or window movie maker.

cheers,
Rhoel

Re: codecs for export formats.

Post by Rhoel »

maggie wrote:I have been reading Moho's 'export formats'. It says AVI on Windows doesn't include any built-in codecs to support alpha channels
I remembered outputting a video last year with moho and the alpha worked. SoI just did a quick test on my machine - vectored a circle all by itself and exported it as avi (uncompressed, the standard hi-res) then imported it into Adobe Premiere 1.5 pro. The alpha channel works just fine.

I'm not sure what the original Moho export data was refering to but run a test using the uncompressed, import it into your fav NLE and see what happems ... you may be pleasantly surprised.

Hope this helps

Rhoel
myles

Post by myles »

If you have oodles of disk space and a fast enough computer to preview it at full speed, Full Frames (Uncompressed) supports an alpha channel (as Rhoel said) and is lossless, and does already come pre-installed with Windows.

Several third-party codecs also support an alpha channel in AVI.
Unlike many other codecs, HuffYUV and Lagarith have the advantage that they also use lossless compression.
The advantages of HuffYUV, Lagarith, etc, are that they save you disk space and allow you to make a tradeoff of datastream volume (disk speed, memory) versus decoding cycles (CPU speed).

Enabling alpha for HuffYUV:

Make sure you use the original HuffYUV 2.1.1, not the 2.2 derivative.

Go through the Moho render process as usual, selecting Export Animation, keyframe range and other options.
When you choose the HuffYUV codec (the Compressor option in the drop-down list on the Video Compression dialogue box), click on the Configure button, and tick the option that says "Enable RGBA (RGB with alpha) compression".

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
maggie

codec for export formats

Post by maggie »

Thanks very much. The current version AVI on windows does support an alpha channel. Probably been upgraded since the tutorial was written. Also thanks for info re the Huffyuv code from Myles. I have a real struggle with these codecs, trying to shunt things between different programs on my computer. An example of the problems is when I try to input some speech into the papagayo program. I go all round the place. Windows movie maker lets you input then wont let you get it out again to another program. so I go to an old program; Videowave 4; input there, then move to MY MUSIC- then into Papagayo.......
Got there in the end though! :?