Comparing 2D Animation Software Features

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

oqtoe

Comparing 2D Animation Software Features

Post by oqtoe »

Hi there,

I'm in the process of producing a small animated piolet this summer. I'm far more familiar with 3D animation software then 2D stop-motion or kinematics animation. Though I do have some experiance with Toon Boom Studio.

I'm curious as to how all the various digital 2D animation software compare. I'm very interested in Toon Boom SOLO but for the life of me am ready pay that price tag until more funding comes in. I love the fact that it looks and functions much like Toon Boom Studio. But what I am most interested in are the "Morphing" and "Inverse Kinematics" features. I simply don't have the time to do stop-motion for this project that's why I like what SOLO offers. http://www.toonboom.com/products/solo/

What my main quesiton is are there similar animation software out there that offer the features that SOLO does but for a fraction of the cost? I'm not sure if Moho has such capabilities or not. I know it has bones but does it have shape morphing features? What appliations have such a feature?

Thanks,

Christa
The400th

Post by The400th »

Download the demos of both Solo and Moho and try them out, it's the only way to know for sure.

But I'll tell you that Moho is MUCH easier to use than Solo, the IK in Moho is much easier and more stable, and the morphing abilities in Solo are so limited that they are worthless - the Moho method of "morphing" works much better.

The huge price you pay for Solo is basically paying for all those flashy adverts you see in magazines, you certainly don't get as good value for money as you do with Moho in terms of ease of use and features.

And if you're used to 3D software, Moho is also a better option.
oqtoe

Post by oqtoe »

Can someone tell me if Moho has the ability to morph or do shape tweening between to object shapes?

Christa
The400th

Post by The400th »

Yes it can.