Storyboarding?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Avalanche941

Storyboarding?

Post by Avalanche941 »

Recently, while trying to put together scenes in my newest animation, I realised, why doesn't Moho have storyboarding? I did a google search (I do that every time I don't understand something or need something.) and found a free program called Storyboarding Pro. Here's the link below:

http://www.atomiclearning.com/storyboardpro

I haven't tried this yet, although it seems like it could be used in conjunction with Moho...
"Good" thinks itself "good", but "evil" thinks itself "good" also. "Evil" thinks "good" is "evil", and vice versa. You think "good" is "good" simply because it is better for your welfare.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

The output from this program is not in the usual format used by animation studios. There is no provision for dialogue or for "slugging" (Sluggin is the graphical description where the sound actually goes).

Have a look at this example. It's based on a 4 x 3 design I started using in 1988. It's now modified to suit 16 x 9. It has 4x3 safety areas marked on the image panels.

It is very easy to read. There is plenty of space for action description, dialague, and for where the sound actually sits. Its a format approved by the EU CARTOON office - ie, a format which will readily be understood by any animation director/producer.

This board is still in production, the action and dialogue is still to be added.

Note the at the size of the action/ dialogue boxes are the same ratio as the image panel - this allows a diagonal pan to be drawn across the entire page. Same too complex camera moves.

Note too that the printed area is offset to the right - this is to allow the board to opened and read easily even when stapled or bulldog clipped together. I refer staples, my current boss prefers comb-spined binding,

I use Page Plus 9 to put my storyboards together - I have master pages set up with rules and guides to help place the pictures. I output the finished storyboards as PDF files - that way, any of the animators can read the board on the company LAN.

remember too that storyboards are frequently opart of the funding process - we take storyboards to meetings with the braodcasters and other funders - they love thumbing through the a4 printed boards at meetings: If your board looks neat and easy to read, the client is more likely to commission work: This is based of the (false) assumption that you will complete the work to the same professional thoroughness. If you have a messy disorganised board, the client will be put off.

I think the above software will not produce the kind of results you need.

BTW. There is a saying in the industry ... a good storyboard = good film. a Bad storyboard = bad film. In other words, the more problems you can solve at board level, the less problems you will have in oruduction and hense, the better the final result will be.

Hope this helps.

Rhoel
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

@Rhoel - is that proprietary or can you share a copy. I would like to print off a few and try using them. I just made a page for myself with several boxes but yours looks better. :)
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

bupaje wrote:@Rhoel - is that proprietary or can you share a copy. I would like to print off a few and try using them. I just made a page for myself with several boxes but yours looks better. :)
Flattery will get you everywhere.

The design is based on the CARTOON layout - in-so-much its not proprietary. There is a copyright notice on mine but for normal re-use, I have no problem in people copying and using it.

But if someone wants to commercially use the design and sell it, then they should remake their own master instead of repackaging mine. If in doubt, just email me.

Here is a blank page.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Thanks! Have to do some small animations at school so this will give me some practice -don't actually get storyboarding till next semester but good idea to start planning stuff -I generally just jump and see where it goes.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

The original board is A3 - I either export the final as PDf and let the printer select the paper size, or reduce-xerox the master drawing. Some storyboarderss prefer the panel at a3 size, others prefer drawing at the A4 scale - each to their own.

I also have a cover page which is in the same style - I won't post that but keep it in mind if you are submitting it to a broadcaster or film competition.

I usually add an A4 card to the board before using a heavy lever stapler to bind the critter together - it looks more professional that way - also lasts longer too ... if you have a board around on a long project, they get to look pretty dog-eared after a while.

I use Serif PagePlus 9 DTP to create the boards - the part you see here is the template/master page part. I import the scanned storyboard panels which have been "cleaned up"in Photoshop (The white and black levels are changed as most scanners give you a more greyscale image), and drop them into place using "snap to guides". Next I add the scene numbers and import the dialogue and action from the script. Rarely add the timings as these are done in excel (you'll be asking me for one of those next ;-) ).

Its oka yto have vertical scenes running up the page oevr the dialogue boxes or pans running across all the page - it make it easier to design layouts and backgrounds that way.

As for storyboarding, love that part more than the animating - you can really see your project taking shape.

Have fun with it.
Rhoel

Excel timing sheet

Post by Rhoel »

Okay, before anyone nags me for it, here is the Excel file.

Timings - blank.xls

Basically, all you have to do is put in the scene timings in min/secs/frames. The spreadsheet then adds up all the scene times and displays it at the bottom of the page. You can change the film running time and (hopefully) the underrun/overrun will be displayed as +/-.

You can add more scenes to the spreadsheet and just drag the 0:0:0:0 from the row above to copy the formula. I'm not going to provide lengthy support on this one - if you know who to use spreadsheets, then using this will be no problem.

One the second page of the file, you will find a conversion tables of
real time = timecode = frames = 35mm film footage. Print it out and keep - its really useful.

Rhoel
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I'm not quite ready for that last one yet but sure I will be - thanks for sharing. Do you want me to round this and the viewport/safe png thing (forget what it was called) you posted some time back and add it to the Moho section of my downloads page? Might be easier for others to find it down the road.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

No probelm for archiving it in the resources - knowing my luck, I'll loose it as some point and need to download it myself :roll:

If I find anything else useful to the archive, I'll upload it. There is a X-sheet knocking around somewhere on this machine, if only I can remember where

I could upload the PagePlus file if there were enough people using the program.

Rhoel
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Thanks for sharing.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I took advantage of a break and uploaded your files to the Moho/Misc Files section of my download page. I also added SafeArea.png since I note that the link you posted no longer works and I had a copy.

http://www.stormvisions.com/dn1/upload/index.php
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

This probably isn't recommended by "professionals" but what I did was get binder for 3x5 cards and a stack of pre-punched 3x5 cards and I do my storyboarding on those. That way, I can take it with me easily, and I can also re-arrange them in any order easily. It doesn't have the nice boxes where you can write scene numbers, etc. but it works for me. Just another suggestion.

jorgy
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I've seen similar things done with Post-It notes...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Therm0s

Post by Therm0s »

Just thought I'd throw this out there as well. There's some great storyboarding templates, as well as a slew of other references. Very, very handy for almost any graphic app.

LINKAGE

Go after the "sample background templates" (direct link to .zip file) since you need a registered copy of SketchBook Pro for the other link.

Better late than never, I suppose.

Cheers.

Therm0s