Vegas Movie Studio 14

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Vegas Movie Studio 14

Post by Greenlaw »

I narrowed down my search for an editing program for kids to OpenShot. I haven't actually tried it yet (maybe this weekend,) but in video tutorials it seems pretty decent and easy to use. (In the videos, it actually looks a lot like Vegas.) Plus, being an open source program, any child with a computer (Mac or OS) and internet connection can afford it. If we focus on a set of essential features, I think it could be suitable for what I have in mind. I guess I can ask my 11-year-old play to with it and tell me what she thinks.

Has anybody here used OpenShot for short productions? Opinions?
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

drumlug13 wrote:I opened Resolve a few weeks ago and my pc laughed at me. It literally laughed. I guess I need a more powerful computer to run it. So I went ahead and splurged on Movie Studio 14. (Better than 13)

Herbert... I've never heard of Humble Bundle before so I guess my first question would be, is it legit? And I'm wondering if the "Steam Edition" of Edit is repackaged version of MS? If you can find a page with a features list or even a product comparison could you please link it?
Humble Bundle has been around for years and years now. It's completely legit. It started out as a monthly deal on a collection of games, which allowed indie game makers (and game companies) to make some noise.

Nowadays they do book bundles, a game subscription kinda deal, have multiple bundles going on, software bundles, and so on. Before you pay you can decide to change the amounts that go to the developers, charity, and the Humble Bundle organizers. If you want, you could send all your money to charity, and get your hands on new games, books, and software.

I must have literally hundreds of games by now - and I always increase the charity amount, which give a good feeling about it too ;-)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

FWIW, I purchased a computer game/music soundtrack package from Humble Bundle that my daughter asked for last summer. It was pretty cheap and legit as far as I could tell.

The Vegas Pro 14 for $20 deal seems like a crazy cheap bargain. Magix must be hoping new VP users will eventually buy the upgrade to Vegas Pro 15 (the current version.)

I already use Vegas Pro 15 but I might take them up on some of the other Magix deals.
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

Greenlaw wrote:Has anybody here used OpenShot for short productions? Opinions?
Briefly tried a previous version (2.3.4) for somebody else, with some fairly trivial stuff - 1080p, a few seconds each of a frame sequence and a few short clips, some audio (MP3 and WAV), nothing strenuous. Didn't find any problems at the time, but I did not spend a lot of time with it. Haven't heard any further details, good or bad.

If you import a numbered image sequence, just pick the first file and it will detect and ask about importing it as a clip. Looks and acts like a single clip therafter.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm looking for something very straightforward and easy to use by children, and being free and multi-platform was important too. Sounds like OpenShot will do the trick! :)