Adobe Announces Flash Distribution and Updates to End

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

herbert123

Adobe Announces Flash Distribution and Updates to End

Post by herbert123 »

The end of an era.
Adobe has announced today it will stop distributing and updating Flash Player at the end of 2020 and is encouraging web developers to migrate any existing Flash content to open standards. Apple is working with Adobe, industry partners, and developers to complete this transition.
Full story:
https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2 ... pdate.html
https://webkit.org/blog/7839/adobe-anno ... es-to-end/
Greenlaw

Re: Adobe Announces Flash Distribution and Updates to End

Post by Greenlaw »

Just wondering: Since the current Animate CC supports HTML 5 output, does it really matter that Flash Player is no longer supported? It seems to me like the platform is just adapting to current web standards.

I'm not an expert on Animate CC though, I only started learning it a week ago. We work with other studios that use it for TV animation, so I figured I better know something about it too. Anyway, the impression I get is that Animate CC and even the old Flash program is still widely used in the industry, at least in TV production.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Greenlaw wrote:Just wondering: Since the current Animate CC supports HTML 5 output, does it really matter that Flash Player is no longer supported? It seems to me like the platform is just adapting to current web standards.

I'm not an expert on Animate CC though, I only started learning it a week ago. We work with other studios that use it for TV animation, so I figured I better know something about it too. Anyway, the impression I get is that Animate CC and even the old Flash program is still widely used in the industry, at least in TV production.
Well, the Flash Player still can do things that are either very difficult or plain impossible to achieve in "HTML5". For example, something as trivial as a video with alpha transparency is still not really possible outside the Flash player.

But browsers are catching up (in most cases already have). Yes, Flash/Animate CC is still widely used for animation - more because of its legacy than for the strength of its animation tools at this point, in my opinion. The bone/IK tool is almost unusable, for example. But a large number of 2d animators were brought up (or introduced to) Flash when they first started to animate digitally for TV, so it still lingers around in many places. Although in the West it seems Toonboom is still way ahead in most 2d animation studios.

Obviously for broadcast animation SWF output is not important at all.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

PS another reason a lot of kids are relying on older versions of Flash to animate: hacked versions of old Flash 8/CS4 copies are easy to come by, and Flash is quite beginner friendly. You just have to check the animation forum at Newgrounds. Moho, OpenToonz, and Toonboom are more intimidating to the beginner.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

While in a tour at Titmouse. They keep saying 'Please don't crash!' while working with flash.

Dale
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

dueyftw wrote:While in a tour at Titmouse. They keep saying 'Please don't crash!' while working with flash.

Dale
Every day I pray the same about Moho, Harmony, and AE, so why not throw Animate CC in the mix? :D