Interactive 3D web authoring tool.

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MarkBorok

Interactive 3D web authoring tool.

Post by MarkBorok »

Called "Axel".

http://www.mindavenue.com/en/products/

Looks pretty good. I can't tell how much it costs because when I click on the "Buy" button I get a 404 error (not a good sign). But I looked it up on the web and it seems like it's around $400.

I tried out the demo a little and it has some nice features. Good basic 3D modeling. They're marketing it as "Flash 3D".
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

:shock: OH, MY GOD!!! Can be this true of just a dream (MY DREAM)???

-Draw or sketch 2D curves in 3D space.
-Point Level Editing: move, rotate, scale or delete single points or groups of points on any shape or curve.

Also available as AXELextras (included in AXELedge):
-Bones and Inverse Kinematics: for building and animating character skeletons.
-Skin: for controlling the deformation of a shape via any other collection of objects.

Relate:
-Spring Relation: add dynamic motion to any two objects by attaching them with virtual springs.
,Pose Constraint: to glue two objects together.
-Distance, Direction & Curve Constraints.
-Bounding Collision Constraints: to keep objects outside or inside of a given box or sphere area in space.
-Group and Ungroup: to organize objects hierarchically and to treat a set of objects as a single super object.
-Hardware Acceleration.
-Cartoon Rendering.
-3D Lights: create multiple light sources (spot, directional, or point lights) to control the shading of your content.
-Live Animation Recording: move objects during playback and automatically record key frames.
-Shape Animation: animate points or groups of points on any 2D or 3D shape.
-Particle Animation: control the generation of particles to make smoke, snow or star fields effects (including support for particle texturing).
...AND MUCH MORE!!! :D

I can't belive it yet! It can be definitelly "MY DREAM" made true! :) But well, ejem... I have learn to don't build up [...] hopes, uf... so I'll try to install the demo before and see! CIAO! :D

PD1: I can't wait! :D
PD2: ...THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE LINK!!!
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

You're welcome. I thought it might find some interest here and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.

However, my one disappointment is that (as far as I can tell) there is no way to interactively navigate the camera through a space. You can rotate objects, but I haven't seen any examples where you can move through them.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

REALLY??? But I think it must be possible, if not much of other features wouldn't have sense...

I think (HOPE!) this feature could be the key:
-Camera Manipulation Handles: to allow the surfer to interactively orbit, zoom or translate the point of view on the content.

...By the way! what about that 2D curved forms, have you or someone more information about the animation and 3D interaction of the "Shapes" of surfaces??? This is for me one of the most important things and I hope it works as I hope! VERY intrigated too about IK skeleton features! :D
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

I think the problem might be that it doesn't recognize my Mac mouse buttons. Even though I have a 3-button mouse it will only recognize the left mouse button. I was looking at this user's examples: http://www.mindavenue.com/en/showcase/p ... html&pyr=i

I guess you can probably get around this by navigating the camera with the keyboard.

I don't know any more about it, I just discovered it today. I'm extremely surprised that I haven't seen it used more often on web sites.
GregSmith

Post by GregSmith »

AxelEdge by MindAvenue is now defunct. They were purchased by a Cabinet Making Software Company in Canada called 2020. Some of us are die hard AxelEdge users and have tried various ways to influence 2020 to keep the AxelEdge product line alive. There is still a lot of interest, (at a much lower price than advertised), and there has been nothing made to match the ease of use and overall functionality of AxelEdge. For any of you who are interested, I can supply a limited number of licenses for version 1.5 at around $50 per license, and an even smaller number of version 2.0 licenses for around $130.

There is a remote possibility that I will obtain permission from 2020 to continue to distribute and support the Axel Product line. If we could garner enough support, I'm sure this would be a certainty.

Greg Smith
brucegregory@earthlink.net
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

Damn, that sucks.

They didn't even mention anything on their site about it's being defunct. They just took down the order page and let the rest of the site remain as it was.

Put me down for support. I would also be interested in getting one of the licenses you are offering.
GregSmith

Post by GregSmith »

Mark:

Just found out I can't get anymore 2.0 licenses. Better hold off. I'll try to see what 2020 has decided about going forward with Axel. Obviously, they are flirting with the idea since they have left the site up now for quite some time.

Greg Smith
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

:cry: ...BUT HOW CAN BE POSSIBLE??? Jaja (a mad laugh :x (of course))I can't belive that I'm reading guys, I don't know how can I be SO un lucky in this aspects :( ...Really the program seemed to be the program of my DREAMS and now I find out this bad news :( ....Well, I only hope that things going ahead with the sofware and it doesn't be abandoned cause (as far as I know) it'd be a great loss and an incredible pity... Well, THANKS to both for all the info and THANKS specially to GregSmith too in advance if you can give us some clues or (PLEASE God!) hope :) ...CIAO!
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

GregSmith wrote:Mark:

Just found out I can't get anymore 2.0 licenses. Better hold off. I'll try to see what 2020 has decided about going forward with Axel. Obviously, they are flirting with the idea since they have left the site up now for quite some time.

Greg Smith
Plus I downloaded the demo and they sent me an auto-response with a code to activate it for 30 days.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I've downloaded the demo too and I've receibed the mail, plus I've wrote a mail to the company (I hope someone read it) to ask for some information and send my best wishes for the well being of the program... I hope some of luck...
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

This software has been dead for a little while now (Axel). You can buy Axel Core v1.5 off ebay for $9.95 http://cgi.ebay.com/MindAvenue-AXELcore ... dZViewItem . This pesron sells them all the time and offers an upgrade for $100 for v2.0.

If you're looking for something similiar try DX Studio http://www.dxstudio.com . Also, If you go and get issue #73 of 3D World Magazine (king kong on the cover) it has a CD with the full version of DX Studio Standard which usually runs at $308 USD.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

J. Baker wrote:If you're looking for something similiar try DX Studio
....Hmmm, THANKS for the info!!! But seems that this DX Studio is not very similar, isn't? I mean, the pourpose of the app can be the same, but that Axel seemed to have incredible features even for character animation (bones, Point level animation...) and much more, things that I don't see in DX Studio (for now at least...) I always will continue investigating, and I only hope this kind of APP's be a succes cause I always have supported the 2D & 3D combination for a TOTAL liberty in animation! :D ...But well, it seems that I must be patient... well...
Visions of Domino

Post by Visions of Domino »

Has anyone tried animating with it?
It's import ability is rather limited for 2d animation. Only way I can see of importing images (instead of converting to eps) is to add them as a texture to a flat surface. But I can't get that to work. Pus, that wouldn't support alpha...
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Hmmm... I avandoned it (just like his creators :roll: ) when I discovered that really I can't work with something like splines... So... well, another interesting/exciting app ruled out for me... I think still must there are less and less... hmmm...