TOONZ GOES OPEN SOURCE

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Psmith

Re: TOONZ GOES OPEN SOURCE

Post by Psmith »

Gentlefolk:

Here is the 3rd in the series, "Drawing & Animating Frame-by-Frame" - Manipulating Frame-By-Frame Animations:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-t3I3 ... CvsxUkBZRA

Enjoy,

Greg Smith
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Thanks for doing these, Greg. I subscribed.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

You're quite welcome.

Greg Smith
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Here's a link to the latest video in my series, "Adding Expression to Your Animation":

https://youtu.be/Ukqn1pYY6IU

I hope you find it informative,

Greg Smith
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

For the voice over, did you enhance your own voice in software, or did you use a realistic sounding voice generator? There is something off with the voice over: it sounds artificial. But quite good, so I am interested in your voice over process.
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Not sure if this is a complement or not. Artificial?

No, I'm sure it is an insult shrouded in the appearance of praise.

This is just me, speaking. No artificial anything. I use Garageband for voice over work. I use a very cheap Microsoft "chat" headset (mic attached). Nothing fancy.

Greg Smith
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Psmith wrote:Not sure if this is a complement or not. Artificial?

No, I'm sure it is an insult shrouded in the appearance of praise.

This is just me, speaking. No artificial anything. I use Garageband for voice over work. I use a very cheap Microsoft "chat" headset (mic attached). Nothing fancy.

Greg Smith
Oh wow, you have a pretty good voice then. My apologies: I have worked with sound engineers before who artificially enhanced (as in wanting to sound more professional) voices to sound similar to how yours sounds. And your voice sounds very different from the slew of video tutorials put on the web (free or otherwise): very calm, very good and clear pronunciation, and an extremely controlled pace.

That is why I thought you had used audio software to improve the overall quality of your voice. I was actually curious how you had done it.

The fact that this is your actual voice makes me a tad envious. :-P
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Apology accepted.

In praise of Garageband, however, the latest version seems to handle all "noise cancellation" automatically (like a gate), and cuts between takes without any perceptible clicks or pops.

I do perform a lot of retakes, and I am pretty particular about the final result.

If anything is lacking among others who narrate their own "how to" videos it is the fact that they perform everything "live" - with little to no editing. This will always produce an inferior result and, in the end, an inferior product.

"Narration is hard, let's go to the Mall."

Greg Smith
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Psmith wrote:This is just me, speaking. No artificial anything.
In Herbert's defence, I too thought it was an artificial voice, and indeed the best artificial voice I'd ever heard. But there was nothing "off" about it, it was great, and I wish it was artificial so I could use it for my own videos (I have a strong accent that is hard to understand for some people).
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

JaMike wrote:
Psmith wrote:This is just me, speaking. No artificial anything.
In Herbert's defence, I too thought it was an artificial voice, and indeed the best artificial voice I'd ever heard. But there was nothing "off" about it, it was great, and I wish it was artificial so I could use it for my own videos (I have a strong accent that is hard to understand for some people).
Yes, indeed! That is why I asked how it was achieved. It would be great to have a voice like that for my own tutorials. :D
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Well, if anyone can figure out how to "package" my voice into an artificial "text to speech" algorithm - it is for sale - let's say . . . for $300,000.

Let me know.

P.S. The other day I was speaking with my daughter about some strange "visual" symptoms I've been having which look totally digital in nature. I said, "There's no way this can be "organic". Her response to me was, "Hey, maybe you're a machine."

An interesting yet disturbing thought. I think I'll pass on exploring this possibility. We've all seen far too many movies.

Greg Smith
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I think that you could have your voice as a computer voice. One way would be to say the 2000 core words in English, add another 2 to 3k of the very little used words. Then have a lookup table to generate the computer voice.
I would want 300k for that.

Or you could say the 44 phonemes in English and have your voice replace the computers. Then charge a 10 dollar a month license fee. :)

Dale
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Here in Berlin a voice over artist makes at least 250 € per hour. If you have the perfect voice, go for it.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Slowtiger:

Do they pay English speakers with perfect voices that amount, in Euros?

If so, could you please send me a link to those possibly interested? I'm game.

Greg Smith
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Dueyftw:

Do you have the expertise to assemble these recorded phonemes, words and phrases in the form that would be useful? I could negotiate a very attractive "split" of profits with you - if you can do this.

Greg Smith