Clipstudio Paint Pro and EX English/Spanish/French released!

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Clipstudio Paint Pro and EX English/Spanish/French relea

Post by Greenlaw »

I recently got up to speed with Manga Studio 5 EX, which I kept putting off learning because the UI was so different from version 4.0 Now that I've got my head wrapped around the changes and improvements, I really enjoy using 5 EX. In fact, the first new comic episode of Brudders drawn using 5 EX just went up on the website this morning. Since almost the beginning, Brudders had been mostly draw using MS 3 and 4's excellent vector tools, and the new vector tools in 5 are even better now.

Anyway, to keep this post 'on-topic', it's very interesting to me seeing how nearly identical CelSys kept the UI for this 'animation version' of the program--makes me feel I already know how to use it. It's kind like when the music program Acid branched off into the video editing program Vegas--if you're familiar with one program, you pretty much know how to use the other. I see the same thing is happening here with this program, which is a pretty good thing.

Sigh! If I only had time to learn and use yet another animation and drawing program. :P

G.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm...I noticed that SM released an update for Manga Studio EX that apparently includes the new Clip Studio Paint timeline. Will have to check that out tonight.
trygve

Post by trygve »

Greenlaw wrote:Hmm...I noticed that SM released an update for Manga Studio EX that apparently includes the new Clip Studio Paint timeline. Will have to check that out tonight.
There really is no more Manga Studio, Clip Studio Paint and Manga Studio now both have the same name and branding, as they are identical programs anyway. So when you update, you get Clip Studio Paint 1.5.4, a free update for all owners of Manga Studio 5. All the same animation tools. :D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

I'm glad to see SM and Celsys have worked things out. The distribution/licensing situation of MS/CS here in the U.S. was getting weird and confusing a year or so ago.

G.
NealF

Post by NealF »

I'd like to do my drawing - FBF - in CSP because of all the great brushes and natural art look.

But then I'd like to export it to Moho for other work on the project. CSP doesn't export as a Pro Res file so I'm thinking the movie would be less than hi res, which is a no, no for me.

I tried exporting from CS as an image file and imported it into Moho. Without a whole lot of scrutiny so far, it looks like that might be a way to get the hi res into moho.

Can anyone confirm this?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you want to export an FBF animation from ClipStudio Paint to Moho, you probably want to export to PNG image sequence. From what I recall, CSP saves 32-bit by default (i.e., with alpha), so if you want a transparent bg for compositing, make sure the background layer is hidden.

In Moho, you normally import the PNG sequence as an Image Sequence layer.

A PNG sequence will give you the highest quality and frame accuracy. If you're on wifi or a slow network, and you have trouble streaming the files, you might need to copy the files to a local drive.

You can make a movie file with alpha channel work for this purpose but, IMO, that's not as efficient to work with. Try it both ways and see what works best for you.

If you need the Image Sequence Layer to be a Switch Layer instead (for example, your sequence is for moutshapes or face expressions that you wish to keyframe non-linearly in Moho,) then you want to right-click the layer and select Convert to Switch Layer. Note that you can't convert it back. If you decide an Image Sequence Layer is what you really wanted, then you'll need to import it again.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Yes. Helps a lot.

My main concern was whether or not the image seq file would be a high resolution. Looks like CSP can't export a movie in hi res. So it looks like I'm fine. Also, good point about the transparency of png. Was hoping that would be the case.

Thanks.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

You know what's brilliant about the latest update? Direct export to OpenToonz

I tested it, and it works great!!! Draw and animate in ClipStudio, export to an OpenToonz scene, and load it up in OpenToonz. The result is raster, but it is trivial to convert the line art back to editable vectors in OpenToonz.

So happy now! :D

I love drawing in ClipStudio (much better than OpenToonz), and this opens up entirely new possibilities. Really nice workflow!
NealF

Post by NealF »

Ah! Read all the way down only to find out it's just Windows.

But thanks, anyway. Looks cool.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

NealF wrote:Ah! Read all the way down only to find out it's just Windows.

But thanks, anyway. Looks cool.
Windows only? ClipStudio is available for both Mac & Windows.
http://www.clipstudio.net/en/purchase/trial

*EDIT* Oh, wait, you mean the other thing.
NealF

Post by NealF »

OpenToonz is Windows only.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

NealF wrote:OpenToonz is Windows only.
OpenToonz is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Download the latest Windows and Mac versions here: https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz_ ... s/releases

The mac version is the one with the PKG extension.

Download the Linux version here:
https://morevnaproject.org/opentoonz/

A portable version for Windows is here:
https://gumroad.com/l/TZmmM#
NealF

Post by NealF »

Hm. The page I was on said Windows only.

Anyway, got it. Thanks.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Might have been the experimental portable version by Turtletooth? That's for Windows only, I believe.