auto morpher?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

gochris

auto morpher?

Post by gochris »

Does anyone know of some 2D animation software that will do auto-inbetweening?

Like I draw a circle on frame 1, and a square on frame 10, and the software calculates all the inbetweens (frames 2-9)

Does anyone have the capability to create this program?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Not exactly what you want, but I drew a circle in frame 0, made a square out of it in frame 6 and copied the keys from frame 0 to frames 1 and 13. And voila, morphing the Moho style.

And if you want a bitmap to morph, you don't need a programmer for that. There are enough off-the-shelf solutions. Do a Google search to find these.
gochris

Post by gochris »

Thansk for the help. Once I posted I realized that my example was too simple to explain what I really want to do.

Let's try something closer to what I have in mind:

Frame 1 a drawing of an elephant.

Frame 10 a drawing of a house.

I know I could move vectors around between frames 1 and 10 to achieve this. But I'd
I'd love to find an "automatic inbetweener." I want to do pose to pose animation and want to use something like Flash or Mirage. But it would be great to find software with this auto inbetweening kind of function.

Is there a bitmap based one, like Corel Painter that does this?

Thanksabunch
The400th

Post by The400th »

This has always been the holy grail of 2D animation software - and it's still pretty much impossible to do. Every couple of years some student does a thesis on a new method and everyone gets excited, but then you try to push the technique into professional production and it falls over.

Animo and Harmony/Solo say they can do it - BUT - the setup takes so long to do and the results are less than perfect. In most cases it is cheaper and better to get a "real" animator to just draw the shapes you need.

The other option is modelling in 3D and toonshading it. But still the setup time is huge.

For best results, you need a human eye, a computer just won't cut it.
gochris

Post by gochris »

Thanks. Seems to be the last word on the subject. Guess I should just learn to draw better!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

gochris wrote:Guess I should just learn to draw better!
Don't we all ;)