Blender New Innovative 2d Animation "GP Tools"

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Psmith

Re: Blender New Innovative 2d Animation "GP Tools"

Post by Psmith »

Janochli:

It may seem quite insignificant that the instructor introduces a bit of code right in the middle of this "NO CODING" training course (which I paid for) - but it immediately puts these questions into the minds of those who expect to create an Adventure Game without needing to code:

"If I need a custom, coded script just to complete this extremely basic example of an adventure game - how many custom scripts will I need to create a more complex example?" "Doesn't this mean that I either must strike up a relationship with a programmer - wait for users to produce the custom code that I need - or learn to code, myself?"

This one example of needing to code to author a game - completely negates all the claims of the software.

Even if one must only rely on 10% of their game to be written in code - it still means I cannot complete my game without custom coded scripts.

What a waste of time and energy for those who have gotten behind this software and invested their most valuable time trying to create a game WITH NO CODING REQUIRED.

Finally, judging by the example in this course, Fungus was created to produce a stereotypical "Talk Back & Forth" (adventure?) game. I say this - he says that. How completely novel an idea! A game like this does not even begin to measure up to the interactivity demonstrated by "Cosmic Osmo" - made on a Mac with HyperCard back in the early 90's.

I guess (Adventure?) game players and game authors have incredibly low expectations - and are satisfied with nearly anything put up for sale, these days.

Greg Smith
exile

Post by exile »

It looks like if we create a shooter game, it will show Greg taking potshots at the harried platform runner Jahnocli. :lol:

I agree that if I need special scripts to complete a tutorial, it doesn't look good for creating a new game of my own - unless I learn to write the scripts myself.

The one point that nobody has convinced me of so far is that it is "easier" to create a game than an animation short. The viewer might demand a higher standard of animation compared to a game, but the total amount of sweat won't be less. If my linear animation doesn't meet my own standards, then I have to try again or start over with another project and try to improve my skills.

As far as I can tell from this forum, most animation projects (unless there is money and a deadline involved) get abandoned somewhere down the line, just as mine do. But the same seems to apply to games.

My point: the illusion that one type of project is "easy" or "easier" is a fatally bad motivation for starting it. You should create a game or a linear animation because you have a passion to do so; if not, you'll never get through the frustration of struggling with software that (even in the best possible case) doesn't completely suit your purposes.
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ha ha! You are absolutely right (harried platform runner).
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

The thing about making games is that, unless you're wanting to do something completely unique, code likely already exists for most popular types of games...and probably whole game templates.
exile

Post by exile »

synthsin75 wrote:The thing about making games is that, unless you're wanting to do something completely unique, code likely already exists for most popular types of games...and probably whole game templates.
So all we have to do is agree on the right software (which is not proving easy) and that we don't need to do anything too novel? All the nerdy stuff is taken care of?
Steve

Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Steve:

Well, yes . . . and no.

The basic game "Wheel" has been remade and re-invented - so many times now . . . the only thing novel that can be done is to make it square. And, this also applies to games of every genre.

The hitch is that truly creative people don't want to work from templates. They want to make something with their own hands - understanding the process as they make it.

To my mind, there seems not to be the proper tools for people who want these things - who absolutely do not want to be forced to code in order to do it, in addition.

What I have seen, however, are tools that are totally template based - or tools that think they will make programmers (coders) of us all. Authors of these later variety of Game Making applications are programmers - and seem to, uniformly as a group, think that everybody else wants to be one, too. Secretly, and in their dreams.

Not gonna happen.

I'm still seriously and in depth, looking at GameFlow for Unity as the most viable option to date. I've already started a dialog with the author of the software and I think he gets it - at least, most of it. We'll see if something can arise from this conversation.

I hope both Herbert and Janochli understand that I pose no attack at them, personally - but, rather, at the philosophies they present in public. It is pointless to attack people when we all are presently residing, together, in Software Purgatory.

Greg Smith
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Steve:

It would also be my hope that making a set of animations that are interactive would also be more entertaining to the viewer, more satisfying to make - for the creator of the thing - and contain the highest potential of being able to be finished.

I also think that animations put to practical use in this fashion have a larger potential to be profitable - as measured by audience engagement and MONEY gathered.

Greg Smith
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

exile wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:The thing about making games is that, unless you're wanting to do something completely unique, code likely already exists for most popular types of games...and probably whole game templates.
So all we have to do is agree on the right software (which is not proving easy) and that we don't need to do anything too novel? All the nerdy stuff is taken care of?
Yes. Unless you are trying to invent new game mechanics (in which case you would already be programming), you really only want to take existing and proven entertaining mechanics and tell your own interactive story. IOW, if you've played a game and thought you'd like to use that same game play for your own art and story, templates will likely be very useful.

Now if you're wanting to make a game with unique mechanics, there's just no substitute for having at lease a rudimentary knowledge of programming.
exile

Post by exile »

Looks like four of us have been bitten by the bug now. I checked out GameFlow (evasiongames.com) and noticed it has both templates and an interesting-looking visual coding system for non-coders. The only thing that wasn't impressive was the gallery of examples. I personally have no interest in creating another bang bang shoot 'em up computer game.

My vague ideas center on a language learning problem-solving quest or a series of funny mishaps a player has to choose between. Maybe a combination of both. In any case, a flexible and reasonably simple tool would be helpful.

Edit: The Evasion Games were all Android or for iPads. One advantage of Construct 2 is that it can export to html5 format, which is accessible online to everybody.

Hope (the hope of making a few bucks) springs eternal, but I confess to being greatly skeptical about this possibility. And if there is a bit of money to be made, in most cases it will be harder-earned than mopping floors.
Steve

Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Steve:

GameFlow is capable of constructing games in conjunction with Unity in any format (for any platform) that Unity is capable of publishing to - Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, Android, HTML and others. So, you will find no limitations on that front for your venture. No royalties due until you make more than $100,000 - and I hope you do!

Greg Smith
exile

Post by exile »

Guess I'll have to buy a vacation house in Flagstaff, Arizona! What else can I do with all that money?

Have you made plans for your first million, Greg?
Steve

Psmith

Post by Psmith »

With that first million I plan to renovate the 1976 Chevy Van in my driveway so that I have a place to live after I retire.

Greg Smith
exile

Post by exile »

You've got your theme for a game: Survival after retirement. The hero has to keep one step ahead of scary monsters that really exist outside of cyberspace. Keeping the wolf from the door won't be easy in the game or in reality. The game will be popular because the player at least gets a fair chance.
Steve

dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Psmith wrote:With that first million I plan to renovate the 1976 Chevy Van in my driveway so that I have a place to live after I retire.

Greg Smith
I have the same idea, but with my Harley Electra glide classic.

So my retirement game will staying at Walmart's, finding free camping and looking for the next soup kitchen.

Dale
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

And . . . don't forget "Slab City". Image

Greg Smith