Microsoft Research Debuts Autocomplete For Animation

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jezjones29

Microsoft Research Debuts Autocomplete For Animation

Post by jezjones29 »

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.fastcodesign.com/3052463/mic ... incredible

From his YouTube:
"This prototype system is mainly designed for novice users, with goals like reducing manual labor and maintaining smoothness across frames while preserving the natural drawing practice. Hope this can inspire more research in this area :) The technical paper will be put online around Nov. 2, 2015."

The end result looks like something Anime Studio could do easily with bones?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft Research Debuts Autocomplete For Animation

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It's an interesting approach, but I don't see much usefulness for it.
In the fish example it's interesting how the fish has lines which appear to be working as bones, or at least as base for the rest. Look the body, tail and fins. All them have an inside line which makes easier the prediction for the software.
I would like to see what this idea compared with Anime Studio bones (and smart bones) and Cacani.
Cacani doesn't have a predictive method (I mean, it has it only for a few specific constructions), you just draw the line again and again and the software calculates the inbetween, according to what you want, as an arc, for example.
Anime Studio has a "predictive" method. If you move a bone, the software automatically tells you how the character will look with that movement applied. If you don't like it, you can fix the bone's movement or go directly to the vector layer and fix the points. The only disadvantage I see in AS is you can't easily re-draw the character over time.

Anyway, I like this kind of research for 2d animation. We are used to see many incredible advances in 3d animation, but in 2d, I only see Cacani and Anime Studio are thinking outside the box.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel