There are no books in English, very few Youtube tutorials, and the tech support from its company, Celsys, has been less than helpful.
I have been browsing the manuals, but they are huge and difficult for me to sit through; although, as translated manuals go, I've had worse.
Now, I am very new to this forum and forums in general, so please bear with me.
Also let me know if I am doing anything wrong here.
For anyone who doesn't know about this software, this is what I have down so far:
- Retas Studio Pro HD is a high performance 2d animation suite consisting of four apps
- These four apps cover each step of traditional animation, allowing for hybrid and paperless workflows
- It is the mainstay of animation studios across Japan, China, and the Koreas
- By means of intelligent, selective rendering, the shooting app, coreRetas HD, can decrease render times dramatically
- coreRetas operates on a system of "scene" and "pegbar" folders, and each scene folder contains data files that store posts from a built-in BBS, which can be accessed from within coreRetas. Beside this BBS is a progress manager, where team members can post progress reports of different jobs on the project.
- While there is no native support for cgi, any pre-rendered .avi or .mov footage can be imported and composited in coreRetas allowing for a variety of filmmaking techniques
- The Scanning and cleaning app, Traceman HD, allows for cleaning, separating, and vectorization of keyframes, so they they can be worked with more easily within the other apps
- The colorization app, Paintman HD, has many specialized palette and fill tools for cel shading keys and inbetweens quickly and efficiently
- The drawing app, Stylos HD, is supposed to be a light-weight, natural-feeling, vector drawing environment for creating and correcting frames with a tablet, haven't looked into this one much yet but could be good.
However, the software seems to run fine on my laptop:OS: Win 2000 sp2 OR Win XP OR OS X 1.3 or later
CPU: 2.0Ghz Intel Pentium or similar (single-core) recommended
RAM: 1GB recommended
HDD: 6GB free space for operating environment recommended
GPU: ??? (Doesn't seem to matter, seems to render off of cpu anyway)
USB: 1 free for DRM module
CD-ROM: required for installation
*also ie 5 or similar for updates and quicktime 6 or newer for .mov
Though I haven't actually done anything with it yet.OS: Win 7 Home Premium x64
CPU: Intel Core2Duo mobile 2.53Ghz
RAM: 4GB DDR2
GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 160 Mobile 256mb
The whole set costs $2400 on Amazon.
There is a Mac OS version for sale in English but good luck finding it
English Manuals can be found here.
And, finally, here is the product page.
EDIT: Also, the product is here!
Please let me know if any of you have experience with this software. I'll be more than happy to update when I find out anything else, whether by trial and error or in the manuals; or, if someone posts something revelatory, I will update as well.
Thank you for your time,