Astro Pad - Cintiq alternative using Ipad?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Astro Pad - Cintiq alternative using Ipad?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Today a friend talked me about this Ipad app called Astro Pad. It turns the Ipad in something similar to a Cintiq.
I would like to try it, but I have neither an Ipad nor a Mac. It looks very interesting as an alternative to Cintiq.
Have anyone tried it here? All the reviews I found use it very lightly, so it's hard to understand how well it can behave in a more demanding context.
http://astropad.com/
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Re: Astro Pad - Cintiq alternative using Ipad?

Post by Greenlaw »

Wow, that looks pretty cool. (In the video anyway.) :)

I haven't used Astro Pad but I do sometimes use an iPad Retina and Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus for painting characters and elements for ASP. (I'll post a video on this in the near future.) I mainly work in a app called Procreate and I use the original version of Creative Stylus to draw with. The CS is a pressure sensitive stylus for tablet computers that works surprisingly well for painting on the iPad but I have to confess it's not nearly as accurate as using an actual Cintiq or Intuous tablet. And if you have the newer Creative Stylus 2, it's actually worse--the CS2 may have a finer point but it also has an annoying lag that didn't happen with the original CS. IMO, if you can get a hold of the original CS, you're much better off.

I know this doesn't have much to do with using the iPad directly with ASP but I just wanted to point out that the stylus accuracy on iPad is not as good as what you get with a real Cintiq, at least when using a pressure device anyway. (I've used Ja-Ja, Pogo Connect, Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus 1 and 2--as mentioned above, I prefer the original CS over the others I've used.)

That said, the workflow shown in the video does intrigue me. If I get a chance to try this out, I'll let you know what I think.

G.