Toonz 5 - Harlequin

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

The400th

Toonz 5 - Harlequin

Post by The400th »

Just been announced at http://www.toonz.com/htm/products/prodtoonz50.htm.

Looks like it's going head-to-head against ToonBoom Solo - let's hope it becomes a price war! :D
godlike27

Post by godlike27 »

And how much does this miracle cost? Is there a demo of Toonz 5.0 Harlequin or Toonz 4.6 ? Toonz must be something if Studio Ghibli uses it, though they limit the usage of computers in their films. I didn't like The-Tab, but I believe Toonz is different.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I visited the link, They are very coy about quoting prices. That's never a good thing...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Well, nothing new about this software (it seems... :roll: )
The400th

Post by The400th »

:roll:

You guys are missing the bigger picture - Toonz is a great piece of software, and a lot of their clients were angry when they started concentrating on The Tab instead of improving Toonz v4.

Since Animo dropped off the map, there's been no competition for ToonBoom, which is why they could charge such high prices.

Now Toonz is back, and we could have another Maya vs. Softimage situation, i.e. they compete with each other and push the price down to where everyone can afford it. And they'll compete to add new features too! This is good for everyone!

If you judge Harlequin by looking at the screenshots and the fact that they haven't announced their pricing yet, well, you're not being very objective.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I love competency and I think that is something that I've make very clear in other treads talking about Harmony/Solo apps in example... Well, that I (at least) wanted to say is that this software doesn't seems include any "revolutionary" aspects into it... nothing for calling my attention to make my eyes --> :shock: ...and well, I'm sure that it'll be a very good quality program like Animo or Toomboom apps but nothing more... nevertheless I must admit that it's only a first impression and I don't know details about filosophy and workflow of the proogram, anyway I'm always happy with the competitibity, so :)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You guys are missing the bigger picture
If you can't afford the bigger picture, it doesn't matter how much you miss it by. Any time I see a reluctance to quote prices, and sliding scales for different users, I think...expensive.
The400th

Post by The400th »

Jahnocli, did you actually read the rest of my reply? :)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Jahnocli, did you actually read the rest of my reply?
Er, y-e-e-e-s-s-s...I think I understand what you are saying. Do you understand what I'm saying?

J
cribble

Post by cribble »

*ooohhhh

"Wha' ya sayin' m8... u want sum beef m8"

As good as toonz may be, i think i won't be interested mainly because they slap a huge price figure on all of their products (like the the-tab... was that cheap? no). Might be suited for a professional studio though... i don't know...
--Scott
cribble.net
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

The400th: "Now Toonz is back, and we could have another Maya vs. Softimage situation, i.e. they compete with each other and push the price down to where everyone can afford it."

Yeah, everybody can afford the $7,000 price of Maya Unlimited.... :roll:
And didn´t AVID, owner of SoftImage, just buy Maya??? Good bye competition.

ToonBoom Solo is about $3,000 if I correctly recall after spending/wasting a lot of time trying to figure out their 30-day demo...

Toonz 5 Harlequin looks quite similar to Solo and will probably be priced similar. This type software is for big time, established professional studios with lots of people working there.
The400th

Post by The400th »

Yeah, everybody can afford the $7,000 price of Maya Unlimited....
Do you think there would be an XSI Foundation for $500 if it wasn't for the competition from Maya?
And didn´t AVID, owner of SoftImage, just buy Maya??? Good bye competition.
Actually, Autodesk (makers of 3DS Max) just bought Alias (who make Maya). So there's still competition between Maya and Softimage.

Anyway, my point is that it could bring prices down and increase the amount of cool features in both packages. Whether it brings down the price enough for some of the people on this forum is another matter.

If the makers of Harlequin have got any sense, they'll drop the price of The Tab now. It could be a loss leader for Harlequin. Then if The Tab is $99, that will put pressure on Moho's price, making Moho cheaper! :D
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.0 Advanced is priced at $6,995.
Maya 7 Unlimited sells for $6,999.
Autodesk 3ds Max 8 = $3,495.
jcampbell

A Price you will not believe

Post by jcampbell »

just found out the price of the new toonz 5.
$8500 for the TV version
$1000+ for the full studio version

Makes toonboom solo sound cheap doesn't it. At these prices your better off buying a pro 3D program.
The400th

Post by The400th »

Toontoonz, those are the prices for the full, super-duper versions with features that a lot of people don't need. There are cheaper options in the range - like Maya Complete and Softimage Essentials. Or Maya PLE and XSI Foundation.

But do you remember how expensive Alias and Softimage products used to be? Competition drove the prices down to where they are today.

Jcampbell, sounds like Harlequin is competing with Harmony instead of Solo then - the pricing is similar. But just as nobody actually pays that price for Harmony, Toonz will no doubt discount that price if you pressure them. The old Toonz was modular, you just bought the bits you needed for each workstation, it looks like they'll do the same here.