Black Magic Fusion free version available

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

uddhava

Black Magic Fusion free version available

Post by uddhava »

Mistro

Re: Black Magic Fusion free version available

Post by Mistro »

This is almost surreal to have such a high end compositor for free. I downloaded it a couple days ago. I do plan on comping some 2d mixed with 3D animation in the near future and this tool is an early christmas gift.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, Fusion is awesome--I highly recommend it. When I was Senior Digital Artist with the Box for Rhythm and Hues, we used it exclusively for compositing as far back as version 3. I'm a freelancer now and I still use Fusion for work. Currently using 6.4 but hoping to upgrade to Fusion 7 Studio soon. (My maintenance lapsed a while ago so waiting to hear from Black Magic about what the upgrade costs.)

G,
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

It looks cool and for free it's obviously unbeatable. Holy guacamole is it complicated though! :shock: :?
~Danimal
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It can be but it's not really.

At the most basic level, you load an image or sequence in a Loader node and you just connect them with Merge nodes (just drag a loader on top of another loader nodes and they will get 'merged' automatically.) At the end of the chain, you add a Saver node and enter our path. The cool thing is that you can add and reuse, modify, and branch of masks and effect nodes in far more efficient ways than you can in a layers based system like After Effects. It's also far more flexible in how it shows you the data. The best thing for me is that Fusion encourages experimentation and variations since anything you can do in Fusion is non-destructive and easily changed.

Fusion may appear complicated at first but if you lay all your nodes out to flow from top to bottom, left to right, it's very easy to follow the process of what happens to your image from start to finish. Naturally, a flow that has been haphazardly laid out will be more difficult to follow--make it a habit to lay out your nodes clearly and cleanly, especially if you're working with a group of artists. Otherwise, it can get complicated (and unnecessarily so, IMO.)

G.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Our short film 'Scareplane' was animated in ASP 9.5 comped in Fusion. This was actually one of the easier things I've comped in Fusion but there were some fun tricky bits that would be been very difficult to do in another program.

After we finish our current production, I'll see if I can manage time to create some ASP-Fusion walkthrough videos.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mistro

Post by Mistro »

Greenlaw wrote:After we finish our current production, I'll see if I can manage time to create some ASP-Fusion walkthrough videos. G.
That would be cool! I'm very new to serious compositing. To be honest, after watching what some pros did with it in Hollywood, I'm a little intimidated and tend to over complicate my approach. I'm still trying to grasp the rules of the nodes (tools). Like when and where to connect certain tool types. When I watch some tutorial videos, they lose me as they really start to build up the flow and I see connections going everywhere very quickly with limited explanation. So I find myself doing a lot of trial and error experimenting. But it's not frustrating to me though...I'm having a lot of fun.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Mistro wrote:
Greenlaw wrote:After we finish our current production, I'll see if I can manage time to create some ASP-Fusion walkthrough videos. G.
That would be cool!
That would indeed be cool! They've posted some tutorial videos on their site as well:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... n/training

I haven't checked them out yet, but this should help people get started anyway.
~Danimal
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Danimal wrote:That would indeed be cool! They've posted some tutorial videos on their site as well:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... n/training

I haven't checked them out yet, but this should help people get started anyway.
Thank you for the tutorials and thanks Uddhava for the link. This software looks very interesting.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

selgin wrote: Thank you for the tutorials and thanks Uddhava for the link. This software looks very interesting.
I am happy if it can be of use to the members here. I myself cannot use it because my computer is too old. :|
Mistro

Post by Mistro »

For anyone looking for more in depth tutorials aside from the ones on BM site, just search "Eyeon Fusion Tutorials" and you will find many.

And this link is to some great Fusion info via VFXpedia stuff http://web.archive.org/web/201107012237 ... =Main_Page

I think this software is an excellent thing for an animator to have. Especially if you want to add special effects.
Enjoy!