GIMP is Great!

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

3deeguy

GIMP is Great!

Post by 3deeguy »

This was done with ASP 9.5 except for the tattoos on his right arm which were too difficult to draw with vectors. I recently had problems with both PhotoShop and PhotoImpact and had to find a way to get the job done. I downloaded GIMP thinking it was going to disappoint me. Now I love it. The tattoos on his right arm are images and those on his left arm are vectors. The program is free and easy to learn.

Cheers, Larry
Danimal

Re: GIMP is Great!

Post by Danimal »

3deeguy wrote:PhotoImpact
Ah, good old PhotoImpact. I have version 6 and still enjoy using it.

As for GIMP, it's excellent. I was thrilled when the newest version finally allowed you to open the whole thing in ONE window, rather than the confusing array of smaller panels.

The artwork is very good!
~Danimal
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Danimal, I agree. One window mode is absolutely the way to go! I put a lot more effects into the artwork because it's not animated. I wouldn't think of trying to animate it. I'm going to upgrade PhotoImpact too. We have to work with bitmaps as well as vectors. (BTW, I had to use a digital tablet to get the details of that tattoo. I haven't used a tablet for several years.) :!:
Thanks for the compliment.
Cheers, Larry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

There is a version of Gimp that has an interface similar to photoshop, its called Gimpshop...

http://www.gimpshop.com
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

GCharb, it's good to hear from you! Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Cheers, Larry
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

GCharb wrote:There is a version of Gimp that has an interface similar to photoshop, its called Gimpshop...

http://www.gimpshop.com
I had seen this previously, but they weren't up to the new version 2.8 yet. Now I'll have to try downloading it and giving it whirl.
~Danimal
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

3deeguy wrote:GCharb, it's good to hear from you! Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Thanks man, good to be back and kicking! :)
Danimal wrote: I had seen this previously, but they weren't up to the new version 2.8 yet. Now I'll have to try downloading it and giving it whirl.
I had a look, and though its not Photoshop by any means, its a good free alternative!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Has anyone figured out how to use the animation add-on in gimp?

Dale