Some old Animation Master cartoons

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

J. Baker

Re: Some old Animation Master cartoons

Post by J. Baker »

Use to use Hash A:M myself. Then I requested a feature to render the frames by means of the graphics card. This would be much faster instead of relying on the cpu, which is already being used by the OS and every program under the sun already running. But Martin Hash disagreed that this was even possible and asked me if I had a degree in computer science or something. He then replied saying he does and this makes him smarter then me. I was shocked. So I quit using A:M and sold my copy on ebay.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that OZ animation was horrible. What a pity.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Yeah, GPU rendering becomes more and more used, another short sight from martin, Blender Cycles uses GPU, among others, very efficient and fast, the hardware is slowly catching up!
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I've attempted to use Blender a few times but it just seems so ridiculously complicated I've always given up. Maybe I should persevere when I have more time?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

AmigaMan wrote:I've attempted to use Blender a few times but it just seems so ridiculously complicated I've always given up. Maybe I should persevere when I have more time?
3d works like Anime Studio really, You build a character, but with polys instead of vector, then You add a skeleton to it, and Blender has an awesome plugin just for that, just too easy, then you animate!

Of course its a bit more complicated then that, but the principle is basically the same.

Here is a model I made few weeks ago, to test the new hair rendering capabilities of Cycles!

At the moment, Softimage is too much for me, and I used to be a beta tester, but Blender I can work with, which is awesome!
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

That's a great model Gilles. Have you animated it yet?
I'm aware of how 3D software works. As you know, I've used Maya at work for the past 7 years. What I was saying was that Blender seems so unintuitive to me. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to Animation:Master and Maya. Whatever you think of Martin and the way Hash is run the software itself is incredibly well designed and logical making it very easy to learn. Blender, on the other hand, doesn't seem logical at all to me. I have heard, however, that the interface has been revamped recently so, if that's true, I may give it another go sometime.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Sorry Dale, forgot that You are into 3D!

Yeah, new interface, I never used the old one, so I can't tell if its better of not, but the new one is easy enough!

There are new sculpting tools as well, which makes modeling tons of fun, here is my first sculpt ever!

GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Thought I'd share the troll blender file, which includes the basemesh (skin modifier object) 25 mb zip file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?269eel2sg2kx7in
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Holy crap!

I tried out Blender a loooong time ago... years ago. It did not seem to be able to do this type of modeling and rendering. I am guessing it has gone through some major updates. I mostly gave up on it due to the strange interface. It was really hard to figure out, compared to Animation Master.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

heyvern wrote:Holy crap!

I tried out Blender a loooong time ago... years ago. It did not seem to be able to do this type of modeling and rendering. I am guessing it has gone through some major updates. I mostly gave up on it due to the strange interface. It was really hard to figure out, compared to Animation Master.
Completely different from AM, AM is the easiest 3D app I ever worked with, but I never liked the renderer, except for toon rendering, while Blender has A very solid renderer now, called Cycles.

Also, Blender has pretty much everything You need, from modeling to compositing, all node based, including texturing.

It has a new interface, since 2.5 I think, took me 2-3 weeks to get used to it, which is good since I wasn't a 100 % when I started using it, and only 1-2 hours a day!

What I believe makes it good for AS, is the freestyle (toon) render engine, which offers a huge amount of controls over the rendering of lines, much more then AM actually, and of course the price is hard to beat.

The freestyles renderer

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:R ... k_Showcase

Blender 2.67 screengrab, latest being 2.68, but not installed on this machine.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ypq8ab8372r9o97