TVPaint

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JaMike

Post by JaMike »

GCharb wrote:Beta tester, cool, this means the software is still in development!
Sure it is! There was an update last week! :D

And we're all desperate to see the new version 10! Let's hold down Cartoonmonkey and tickle him until he reveals the juicy details! :twisted:
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Gcharb guts his feather pillow, puts himself in tickling mode and looks at Cartoonmonkey with a devilish grin!
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

A TvPaint vs ASP thread would be more informative to me as it could highlight areas of improvement in both software.
Well, I never thought of TVP and ASP really being in competition as TVP is geared directly towards hand-drawn frame-by-frame animation and Anime Studio is built for "cutout tweened" animation like Flash or the much superior Toonboom.

I can see TVP being in competition with say... Flipbook or Toonboom (and it IS in competition with both) but Anime Studio? No. At least not YET until TVP adds a good cutout feature. For now, they're two very different pieces of software designed for two specific types of animation.

So yeah, Toonboom and Flash are Anime Studio's biggest competitors, not TVP.
Beta tester, cool, this means the software is still in development!
Yep, it's constantly in development just like Anime Studio. I think there's gonna be some really cool stuff coming.
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

TVPaint V10 is about to get released...new features look great.
Last edited by benecosse on Thu May 05, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

benecosse wrote:TVPaint V10 is about to get released...new features look great.
They sure do! And most importantly, it's version 10! That's one better than Harmony 9 and TWO better than ASP 8! ;)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

A bit late to chime in, but I don't look into this section regularly.

TVP is a great program. It is as powerful as Photoshop, and like that each user will only use a subset of all of it's functionalities. The price is totally OK - for a professional. As a beginner or hobbyist you only need the standard edition, which still is pricey enough - but hey, look at Adobe's prices!

You need some knowledge in animation and drawing, and you have to be prepared for a steep learning curve. But then you have a software which allows you nearly total freedom of style. Even if you don't do animation TVP is a good drawing program.

The user interface needs some time to get familiar with. Part of this is due to TVP's complete platform independancy: it works on Win, Mac, Linux. And the nice part: with only one licence you may install a Win version on one PC and a Mac version on another, like for at work and at home, and it all works with the same dongle.

TVP has its drawbacks. The camera and multiplane tools are far from being intuitive, which is the reason I do that stuff in AS. Files can get big very fast - which is quite normal with bitmap-based animation. Integration into a studio workflow doesn't come for free, you need discipline and a strong production manager.

But it was one of my best decisions to buy TVP. It's stable. It's amazingly fast even on my old machine, and I was surprised to find how good it still worked with a 10 GB file - while I have only 1,5 GB RAM. I especially like the combination of TVP and AS and continuously shift files from one to the other and back again.
TVPaint

Post by TVPaint »

Hello, I am Elodie and I am a TVPaint team member =)

If you have questions, please, feel free to ask !

I also take the liberty to announce the release of TVPaint Animation 10 :D
=> http://www.tvpaint.com/WhatsNew.php

Have a nice day !
Elodie
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Uh oh, now I have to be careful with any mentioning of TVP here because Elodie is reading!
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Looks like a nice program but would like to see a hobbyist price tag. Will try the trial out though and see what it has to offer.
TVPaint

Post by TVPaint »

slowtiger wrote:Uh oh, now I have to be careful with any mentioning of TVP here because Elodie is reading!
I am honnest, I subscribed the forum. I could stay anonymus and read your posts anyway :mrgreen:

(just kidding)
J.Baker wrote:Looks like a nice program but would like to see a hobbyist price tag. Will try the trial out though and see what it has to offer.
The Standard Edition costs twice less than the Professional and still offers great features. Hope you will appreciate the trial =)
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I just purchased the educational standard edition. :)

The talent at TVPaint forum is pretty intimidating though. I'll probably just lurk for a while before posting there...
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Hi,

funny how all of this talk about TVPaint is going on now I was just looking at news about version 10 and also noticing how cheap the standard edition is in relationship to the pro. It also lets you use one audio track. It seems like the older standard versions didn't support any audio tracks. The brushes look really nice!

I'm not spamming by the way.

udd
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

uddhava wrote: The brushes look really nice!
Yes the natural brushes are excellent
Last edited by benecosse on Thu May 05, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TVPaint

Post by TVPaint »

The talent at TVPaint forum is pretty intimidating though.
:shock: Why ? Because we answer too fast or because or because you think we will bite you :mrgreen:
uddhava wrote: It seems like the older standard versions didn't support any audio tracks.
No, no, Standard Editions were always able to read one soundtrack =)
The brushes look really nice!
Thank you ! :D
Benecosse wrote:A great companion to Anime Studio too.
Yes, I frequently hear that : I am very curious and would be pleased to see animations using the both technologies !
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Is there still an upgrade offer from Mirage to TVPaint?