TVPaint

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JaMike

Post by JaMike »

dm wrote:I sure wouldn't want to deal with 100 animators on TVP for a couple of years. At least not in its current form.
Sounds like that won't be a problem - see here. TV Paint now has production-quality asset management, and is "large production friendly".
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Not yet, but they managed a partnership with a Canadian company that makes a project management software called studicap.

So it should be production friendly as soon as they incorporate it, cool.

ASP should be able to plug into something like this.

Perhaps someone could write a plugin for celtx or something!
dm

Post by dm »

Asset management is a nice thing to have. I'm glad TVP is doing something about it. Have to wait and see how that goes. I was under the impression that Freakish Kid was trying to make some inroads into that for ASP? Perhaps not.

Now I'm wondering, why is there a need to have a TVP thread here? They have a reasonably well attended forum of their own.

Oh, who cares. People knowing about options is always good.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

dm wrote:Now I'm wondering, why is there a need to have a TVP thread here? They have a reasonably well attended forum of their own.
Oh come on, don't you think that's being a little unfair? Last month there was a Toon Boom thread here where the product manager from Toon Boom itself came on here and did a sales pitch! Where were your complaints then?

And TV Paint doesn't even compete directly with ASP, and Toon Boom most definitely does!

If TV Paint are getting bigger and getting more large-scale productions, good for them! A bit of competition in the market is good for us as consumers too. We'll get better features for lower prices.

Don't begrudge the little guys their day in the sun. :)
crsP

Post by crsP »

JaMike wrote:
dm wrote:Now I'm wondering, why is there a need to have a TVP thread here? They have a reasonably well attended forum of their own.
Oh come on, don't you think that's being a little unfair? Last month there was a Toon Boom thread here where the product manager from Toon Boom itself came on here and did a sales pitch! Where were your complaints then?
It wasn't a Toon Boom thread, it was ASP vs TBAP. And what is your logic that TvPaint is not competing with ASP, yet Animate is?

SvenFoster, I don''t think you would be able to get a student to buy it for you as I think the licence is tied to the purchaser.

Also JaMike, bigger studios would prefer one integrated package vs A bunch of disparate solutions that barely 'talk' to each other. That's a major failing of Anime Studio. It can import vectors [sometimes...] but does not export those same formats.

From some of the posts I have read on TvP forum, some of the the users have a similar problem to some users here - an imaginary war between vectors and bitmaps. Seems to offend if you suggest additions to the software which include vectors or bitmaps, in TvP or ASP, respectively.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I believbe He meant that TvPaint being a more classical bitmap animation software compared to ASP that is mostly vector software, they do not compete in the same arena, which is sort of true, since the needs of vector based animation is much different then those of a more classical fbf animation solution.

I also believe that ToonBoom is a more direct competitor to ASP then TvPaint is, as TB is vector based and that it allows the same type of animation AS does where TvPaint is clearly a fbf animation software.

Also, this is the other software section of the forum, and I love discussions about other software myself, as I believe it is important to keep track of what is out there, but I do not intend to register or even follow on every forums there is just to keep up.
crsP

Post by crsP »

Personally I don't mind it, but was pointing out this thread was specifically a TvPaint thread, whereas the other was a comparison to AS. A TvPaint vs ASP thread would be more informative to me as it could highlight areas of improvement in both software.

I was thinking it may be the vectors, but I didn't want to assume. But what is really the big difference? Besides the math. I mean, TvPaint has a stroke smoothing option, and if it's anything like Artrage [which is bitmap based] then it's probably a vector stroke which is immediately rasterised once you let go of the button. Similarly, if you choose a 'brush' for your stroke in AS, that is bitmaps repeated along the path. Not to mention AS's image layers, and doesn't TvP have a bezier drawing path tool? I know Painter does, which is similar to TvP, but weak in animation.

P.s. you have fbf [frame by frame] concept wrong. FBF refers to animation, as opposed to live action or puppetry \ motion capture. Vectors or bitmaps are irrelevant to this.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

LOL, well, looks like I have been doing fbf(Frame by frame) animation the wrong way for over 30 years, thanks for straighten me up! :)
crsP

Post by crsP »

Not quite - more that you have been doing it without realising you have been doing it. Like sleep eating.

I will make a post on it. I had planned to, because so many people on this forum was using fbf out of place, but I didn't have the motivation for it, as I knew it would be a contentious issue.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

LOL

To me, fbf animation is animation where no computer interpolation is involved, so.

A series of hand drawn images is fbf, stop motion is fbf, raster or vector animation using bones but with step interpolation is fbf.

Then, since TvPaint is raster, and as far as I know only displays a series of hand drawn images, it is clearly fbf animation software, someone correct me if I am wrong!

Now, AS is mostly vector based and allows computer interpolation, which is closer to TB, which also allows that, but TB is also a good fbf animation software, since it allows the use of sequence of images, like TvPaint.

And yes, AS also allows that through the use of switch layer, but common, its not its best suit! :)
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

crsP wrote:It wasn't a Toon Boom thread, it was ASP vs TBAP.
It turned into a Toon Boom thread, and nobody complained, quite rightly, because this is the Other Software section.
crsP wrote:And what is your logic that TvPaint is not competing with ASP, yet Animate is?
GCharb put the case perfectly.
crsP wrote:I don''t think you would be able to get a student to buy it for you as I think the licence is tied to the purchaser.
TV Paint is dongle-based, so...
crsP wrote:Also JaMike, bigger studios would prefer one integrated package vs A bunch of disparate solutions that barely 'talk' to each other.
Every studio I've worked at was quite happy to have a choice of software to build a pipeline out of. And the time I did work with an "all-in-one" solution, it did most things badly and you had no choice but to stay in that software because it had no compatibility with other software.

Do you think the 3D industry works in one software end-to-end? Texturing, modelling and compositing are often, if not mostly, done in disparate programs (from different manufacturers!) that talk to each other.
crsP wrote: That's a major failing of Anime Studio. It can import vectors [sometimes...] but does not export those same formats.
What animation software can export as vectors, apart from SWF format? I'm not being argumentative, I'd like to know which ones, because I've had use for that in the past.
crsP wrote:From some of the posts I have read on TvP forum, some of the the users have a similar problem to some users here - an imaginary war between vectors and bitmaps. Seems to offend if you suggest additions to the software which include vectors or bitmaps, in TvP or ASP, respectively.
You never have to look far to find an argument on the internet. :)
cartoonmonkey

TVPaint

Post by cartoonmonkey »

I use TVPaint, and I am one of the development beta testers / contributors. If you have any questions about the software, feel free to ask.

JaMike

Re: TVPaint

Post by JaMike »

cartoonmonkey wrote:I use TVPaint, and I am one of the development beta testers / contributors. If you have any questions about the software, feel free to ask.
First question - is that YOUR character in your avatar and splash screen?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Beta tester, cool, this means the software is still in development!

Cool avatar ans characters, but of course AS could do those! ;)

GCharb is hiding under his desk! :shock:
Last edited by GCharb on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

GCharb wrote:Beta tester, cool, this means the software is still in development!

Cool avatar ans characters, but of course AS could do those! ;)

GCharb is hiding under his desk! :wink:
lol
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu