TVPaint

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

spoooze!

TVPaint

Post by spoooze! »

Hey guys! So there doesn't really seem to be a thread about TVPaint so I thought I'd start one up?

I've had TVPaint for a while but have just started using it to teach myself how to do some hand-drawn frame-by-frame animation. So far I am very impressed with TVP's animation tools. If you want to do hand-drawn animation that doesn't have that "vectory" look, this is the program to buy. You can basically duplicate a pencil line that doesn't look artificial.

I've actually started animating a short Halloween cartoon and while it's certainly not as fast as Anime Studio, it's very very satisfying in a way "tweened" animation is not. It's something about seeing you drawings moving around and coming to life that's just magical.

So anyone else here use TVPaint?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Wait...wait...slowtiger is coming soon, I can feel it... :)
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

I use and love TVPaint. It is the best FBF animation software by a long way.

And according to this thread, it's being used by Disney now.
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

And according to this thread, it's being used by Disney now.
Wh-Wh-Wh-WHAAAAA??? That's amazing! Great news for TVP. Now if only a big Flash studio would pick up a few Anime Studio licenses...
dm

Post by dm »

I use TVP sometimes. Note that it is bitmapped (for the people who didn't know that).

There are a lot of things I like about TVP, and a lot that I dislike. It's worth using though.

What difference does it make what Disney uses? The people I know over there say they're still Harmony-based anyway.
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

What difference does it make what Disney uses?
I just think it's good news for TVP that a big American feature animation house is using them. It's great publicity and maybe TVP will start becoming more used by studios here in the US.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

I'd love to use a decent traditional/digital animation package like tvpaint but the cost is prohibitive esp for a version that's been around since 2009.

At £450+ for a standard edition (or even £250+ if I found a student I could beat up) its just to rich for someone like me to play with.

Maybe they will put v9 price down if they bring out 10...looks like they are more likely to remove it should a new version come along.

Shame look forward to seeing your creations tho peeps.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Never used it myself, but I know some who do, and they swear by it!
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

dm wrote:What difference does it make what Disney uses? The people I know over there say they're still Harmony-based anyway.
A big studio like Disney is likely to use several types of software, and even if they did decide to switch everything to TVPaint, there would still be series that are in the middle of a two-year production that would be using the old tools. Also it wouldn't make sense to switch a vector show to bitmaps in subsequent seasons.

And if you go to the Toon Boom website, they seem to think it's important what Disney uses. :D
dm

Post by dm »

TV Paint, like Anime Studio, is not 'large' production friendly. I've commented on that here and 'there'. I didn't notice any mention of how many seats of TV Paint they had at Disney, or what they might be doing with it. Naturally, as a small business, TVP (or anyone else in a similar position) is going to make the best they can of the situation.

If Disney adopts TVP, that would be great. It would probably improve it. Harmony improved with Disney's contributions to it. I wish them the best, but I sure wouldn't want to deal with 100 animators on TVP for a couple of years. At least not in its current form.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Is there any good scripting in TvPaint?

Scripting is how We fit software into pipelines.

On this note, AS having a rather good scripting interface, it could be integrated into a pipeline.
dm

Post by dm »

TVPaint has got scripting. I wonder if it, or ASP scripting is robust enough to deal with all of the management issues though. I'm sure it would require additional software (there was already a discussion about this a while ago). Then someone would have to develop it and implement it.

Often times, I can see that something can be done, but there's a point of "why bother"? If Disney is going to use TV Paint (or anything else), I would think they'd just make a deal with the developers to make it do what they needed it to. That's what they did with Toon Boom. Then we all benefit in the end.

TV Paint is bitmapped. A big production with it (feature film, with lots of animators) would require a pile of processing power, and a lot of storage space. I'm pretty sure that rendered effects still can't take advantage of a render farm. There are lots of bottle necks to work around. For a couple of people, TVP is fine.

So, Disney uses Harmony. Does that make a difference to you? I've seen people on the lot using Stanley hammers. Does that make a difference? I guess it probably does. I just don't know why it does.
Garret

Post by Garret »

Me too love it
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Spam aside, all big, and often small studios have scripters, look at Pixar Renderman.

At work, me and a fellow worker often script what We need for our workflow, which basically change for every medium to big size jobs.

In my opinion, an even more open sdk for ASP might give a larger studio reason to at least try it!
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

GCharb wrote:Spam aside
What Spam? :roll: :twisted: