Free program for quick visual walk-throughs/tutorials

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

myles

Free program for quick visual walk-throughs/tutorials

Post by myles »

Greetings all,

a few people said they liked the quick visual walk-through I created for making holes in shapes.

I thought I'd mention it was created with a free program called Wink (available for Windows and Linux), which you can find here: http://www.debugmode.com/wink/
Free for both personal and business use.

Wink combines screen capturing with the ability to export to a SWF slideshow (images in HTML, PDF, and PostScript also supported), move or remove slides, show simulated mouse movements (between beginning and end points), add text-boxes (with or without arrows), and buttons to jump to the next/previous frame (or any other frame), or timed slides.

Wink is easy to use and makes creating such quick examples a matter of minutes rather than hours.

One minor usage quirk - you need to go through the render menu once (Project; Render) to select "use palette" and any other project options, then "edit palette" (Project; Edit palette) to create a new palette, then go through Project;Render again to create the file using the palette and other options you set the first time.
Creating a palette reduces the colours used to 256 (or less), creating much smaller SWF files.

One minor output quirk - the SWF files created by Wink do not have the size set in the SWF itself, so they don't work well with standalone SWF viewers. You must use the HTML file (exported at the same time) to view the SWF file in a web browser, as the size is set in the HTML file.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx