As Pro 8 vs Toon Boom AP 2

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JaMike

Post by JaMike »

This is better than Wikileaks. Now an unhappy customer is publishing internal e-mails that suggest they are misleading people. And even Lord Jesus Christ has got involved. I think that thread will be closed in 3... 2... 1...
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Wikileaks has nothing on us! :)

TBAP 3 is coming, they are just bringing a single user Harmony version as well, they have a good cow, why not milk it properly.
Last edited by GCharb on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

GCharb wrote:they have a good cow, why not milk it properly.
The Cow is the Animate Pro user, and the Milk is their money. :D
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Now it's getting confusing - that thread is referencing THIS thread! So hello Toon Boom users!

But there's a great quote from one of their forum members:

"Anmie studio feature wise is better than Animate... I would certainly like Toonboom to give Animate the features to compete!"

And this is from someone who does a lot of tutorials and is very active on their website.

He also says "but Animate is implemented much better IMO."

I guess he's not using any scripts in Anime Studio, otherwise he wouldn't be thinking that the Animate implementation is better. And also, I don't really understand how you can compare implementation if one program does something that the other does not. Maybe he means implementation in general. Or maybe presentation. I'll give them that - Toon Boom knows how to show off their features. Smith Micro could learn a lot in that respect.

I think we've definitively answered the OP's question! :)
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

yes, Theraider answered many of my questions when I was evaluating TBA and I think I know what he means by TBA is better.

TBA has better drawing tools, which is the first thing peoples usually notice on a 2d animation software, as drawing is usually the first step of creating animation in it.

It also has better color registration, another strong point for TBA, it has a better 3d interface, it has a fast interface, so on and so forth.

But it lacks what makes AS so special, it is not as user friendly, it lacks many of the animation tools we have, like point animation, which came up in a few other threads, including one that I started if I remember correctly!

I too, would like to see some of TBA features in ASP, maybe one day! :)
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

GCharb wrote:I too, would like to see some of TBA features in ASP, maybe one day! :)
Everything except the price! :D
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

JaMike wrote:
GCharb wrote:I too, would like to see some of TBA features in ASP, maybe one day! :)
Everything except the price! :D
Definitively! ;)
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

I think I've worked out Toon Boom's plan - a DVD writing software did the same thing to me a few years back...

Step 1: Tell Animate Pro 2 users that they don't get the features of Harmony.

Result: Some AP2 users upgrade to Harmony, the others just get angry.

Step 2: Wait.

Result: Some more angry AP2 users get desperate and upgrade to Harmony.

Step 3: Release Animate Pro 3 with some of the Harmony features.

Result: Angry AP2 users are so relieved to get any new features that they rush to upgrade to Animate Pro 3. People who upgraded to Harmony earlier are now angry, but who cares, Toon Boom have their money already.

Summary: It's all a carefully laid out plan to extract the maximum amount of money from the users. And the reason why they don't publicly state Harmony's price is so they can discount it based on how much you complain, so you think you are getting a really good deal (that's my flatmate's theory anyway, he's going to try complaining a lot to get a free upgrade :) ).
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

JaMike, must I remind that these peoples are Canadians, and that We, Canadians, do not condone such gorilla war tactics and that no matter what you say, your point of view seems to make more and more sense as I write this nonsense!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

GCharb wrote:JaMike, must I remind that these peoples are Canadians, and that We, Canadians, do not condone such gorilla war tactics and that no matter what you say, your point of view seems to make more and more sense as I write this nonsense!
There's a difference between "gorilla" and "guerrilla". "Guerrilla" has its roots in "guerre", which I'm sure you know is a French word meaning 'war'... a "gorilla" waging war would indeed be terrifying...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

jahnocli wrote:
GCharb wrote:JaMike, must I remind that these peoples are Canadians, and that We, Canadians, do not condone such gorilla war tactics and that no matter what you say, your point of view seems to make more and more sense as I write this nonsense!
There's a difference between "gorilla" and "guerrilla". "Guerrilla" has its roots in "guerre", which I'm sure you know is a French word meaning 'war'... a "gorilla" waging war would indeed be terrifying...
lol.... this summer I've had a few Griller wars at the BBQ
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Gorilla, guerilla, both are frightning! ;)
donbartolo

:)

Post by donbartolo »

Hello everyone!

I put the link of this thread into Animate's Pro forum. I just wanted to say thanks for the interesting talk going on!

I really had a good laugh with some replies. :D

Have a nice day! :)
JaMike

Re: :)

Post by JaMike »

donbartolo wrote:Hello everyone!

I put the link of this thread into Animate's Pro forum. I just wanted to say thanks for the interesting talk going on!

I really had a good laugh with some replies. :D

Have a nice day! :)
Hi Donbartolo! Welcome!

We're happy we could entertain you! :)

Come for the entertainment, stay for the software! :D

But seriously, I hope you win your fight with Toon Boom, you need to stand up for your consumer rights! Solidarity, brother!

(and check out what Anime Studio can do, it's much better than Animate!)
donbartolo

^^

Post by donbartolo »

It's a bit a pitty that it ended up that way...
But the fact that there is still no answer after 4 pages of thread,1500 views and that they took the risk to delete the video make it clear that TB will not change their policy of 'silence' for the moment. ^^;

Sadly, your 3steps guerilla strategy© seems to be the way things will evolve...

Concerning Anime Studio, i saw a lot of really nice video's. i will take also a closer look to the other threads of this forum to get a better idea of the software! :))