Animation Tools of the Trade....whats yours

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SvenFoster

Animation Tools of the Trade....whats yours

Post by SvenFoster »

Guys n Gals..

As I get more and more adventurous with my animations (not enough to show you lot yet lol) I am trying to get an idea of the other tools used as part of the workflow of others.

So I mainly use this(Free unless marked with a * )...
ASP - of course
Celtx - Scriptwriting, screenwriting

Audacity - sound editing etc.

GarageBand* - For jingles/background tunes if I'm desperate
NanoStudio* - Iphone app for music (think garageband with the simplest interface and awesomeness. preferred choice)

ArtRage* - natural media, painting, backdrops, sketching, animatics(sometimes Anime studio freehand tool)
GIMP - image editing, bit of painting etc.

Blender 3d - erhmm for 3d not for a while. Sequencer/compositing occasionally .

I dont really use any "professional" video compositing etc and wonder if I should focus on that.

Also, A little off topic but wondered what sort of Audio recording setup people have? re: Mic's etc..
I usually make do with built in or cheap headset mics and have to fiddle with the audio quite a bit for anything resembling decent..

suggestions?
cheers
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Bread & Butter: Anime Studio Pro 8 combined with Photoshop CS4 combined with a Wacom Intuos 12WX

Sound: Audacity and/or GarageBand (though my brother's got a good setup with Ableton Live, an external sound card and really awesome professional monitors so he does sound stuff)

Compositing: Final Cut Express 4 HD

Compression: Mpeg Streamclip <- Seriously, I had heard about this free app before but I always disregarded it because it sounds like a budget piece of software. It is SO AWESOME!!! I think it does the same job as COMPRESSOR which I'd need to buy for Mac. Really great piece of software for making web versions of larger videos with loads of settings, like removing audio, loads of codecs, bitrate, etc... Can't recommend it enough

Aaand, that's about it really.

Oh I use Toon Boom Animate 2 if I don't want to work between Photoshop and Anime Studio and want more to do frame-by-frame stuff. I hardly ever draw stuff in Anime Studio. I'd dig to be able to do everything in AS.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Oooooooo your that Mikgod watched the goldfish vid about 50 times and the making of around the same.. 2 words.... Aw Some ;)

Just checking out Mpeg Streamclip and it looks like its got loads of features going for it... deffo added to my list.

AS rocks for usability but pretty much sucks for drawing. then again Toonboom is soooooo expensive (for a non pro) so non starter .

love the work...didi I mention that.. love it.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
ruscular3d

Artrage3 is on sale till the end of month

Post by ruscular3d »

It's $50 for the pro version
I think the latest version have made some big stride in user interface and added tools. Worth checking out if you want to do your own background art.