Cel action

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Post by DK »

bubai.

Have you seen this thread on our forum re: Celaction? It features a response from the developer.

viewtopic.php?t=1918&start=15&sid=dc5e9 ... 2bece9ef41

worth a read.

EDIT: Might I add. If you want to do a full body turn just draw it!!!!!
You can use "Import Image Sequence" AS script to bring them in once they are done and retrace the keyframes in AS or just do them in Photoshop first and import. That's what I do and I bet that's what you have to do with Celaction. Use your drawing skills.

D.K
Last edited by DK on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubai

Post by bubai »

Yes I read that. I think they don't sell their product to any single user or small studio. They look for high profile big studios.
--------------------------------------------
Thanks,
Soumitra Saha
www.animking.blogspot.com
bubai

Post by bubai »

DK wrote:bubai.

Might I add. If you want to do a full body turn just draw it!!!!!
You can use "Import Image Sequence" AS script to bring them in once they are done and retrace the keyframes in AS or just do them in Photoshop first and import. That's what I do and I bet that's what you have to do with Celaction. Use your drawing skills.

D.K
First of all, it'll come as a raster image sequence in anime studio, need vectors. Secondly I'm guessing too that those are made in different software frame by frame, but celaction have morph system( I think), you can deform vector shapes in celaction, I need to see the actual work flow. Guess can't be always right :)
Thanks,
Soumitra Saha
DK

Post by DK »

bubai
Trace it, (pencil test imported as a sequence), in AS as a vector. So easy and you can have your smooth hand drawn like actions.

D.K
bubai

Post by bubai »

Know that, but time taking process, is it not? It'll slow down the speed :(
Thanks,
Soumitra Saha
DK

Post by DK »

:lol:
D.K
DK

Post by DK »

bupai.
This is your animation right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmqOT1R ... r_embedded

What software did you do that in? How long did it take?

D.K
bubai

Post by bubai »

Anime studio, 3-4 days approx.
Thanks,
Soumitra Saha
DK

Post by DK »

So is it that you want smoother, more complex animation and you want a software program that will give you this result with the equivalent amount of time that you spent doing it in AS? 3-4 days?

D.K
bubai

Post by bubai »

No :). Want more professional look (client is happy but I'm not), and more less amount of time :)
Thanks,
Soumitra Saha
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

bubai wrote:No :). Want more professional look (client is happy but I'm not), and more less amount of time :)
Really, that depends of you, not of the software. Your animation doesn't look professional because, first, the character and background design doesn't look professional. The animation neither. I'm not telling it's a bad animation, but if you want to improve your animations, look at that points at first. The software has almost nothing to do here.
Animation is a hard task. If you don't want to draw a body turn, then start thinking on doing another thing, because even in 3d you have to draw your character angles first.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
bubai

Post by bubai »

selgin wrote:Really, that depends of you, not of the software. Your animation doesn't look professional because, first, the character and background design doesn't look professional. The animation neither. I'm not telling it's a bad animation, but if you want to improve your animations, look at that points at first. The software has almost nothing to do here.
Animation is a hard task. If you don't want to draw a body turn, then start thinking on doing another thing, because even in 3d you have to draw your character angles first.
Well, first of all thanks for back again. I know everything is depends on user, great user can find lots of potential within a normal software. But for a quick notes, I don't know whether you know 3d or not but I've used both maya and messiah studio. And the main think in messiah is it's real time skinning. So place the joints and animate(it'll skin automatically), which is real time saver than maya's painting weights.

Your point is different, I'm not looking for a software which will make a magic, will animate behalf of me, I'm looking for a software which is technically strong.Which can faster the work flow. For an example I can do frame by frame animation in anime studio too, draw on paper or any other software then import and then trace it but it's more time consuming than do the frame by frame animation in toonboom :) Come to the point man :)

I didn't get this line Sorry
"because even in 3d you have to draw your character angles first".

Last thing,.... my duty is make my client happy. It'll be a foolish approach if I make a Disney style animation for a regular low budget client :). Again come to the point man :)

Regards,
Soumitra
Thanks,
Soumitra Saha
DK

Post by DK »

bubai wrote:
I'm planning to buy this software after seeing some video made with celaction.

Like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvuh1OJC ... re=related

Can anyone say it's possible in anime studio if so then how?
bubai, That was your initial point that started this thread and the answer is yes and selgin showed you how.

If you are comparing AS to Toonboom AS will probably not be tecnically good enough for you as it does lack certain production features which you will find listed in numerous threads scattered about this forum.

So, to save time and starting another long winded AS v TB v CellAction type discussion please just go use Toonboom or CellAction. They will do what you want and be technically strong enough for you I am sure.

If you need any help with AS in the meantime we will always be happy to help you. :)

Cheers
D.K
bubai

Post by bubai »

:wink:
Thanks,
Soumitra Saha
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello all!

Has been a while since I posted here but I could not resist this thread.

I am still pissed at the direction ASP took with 7 but I decided to use it anyway.

I also tried to get a demo of Celaction but at no avail.

In response to Andy's post, I made this small walk cycle test in ASP, took like 15 minutes to animate, no feet sliding and quality is awesome if you do not mind me being a bit full of myself.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GillesCharb ... R0580BZsGk

The character is Sasuke from the Ponyo movie, which I used for most of my learning process.

I also posted a small video showing how I animated it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC-m_FjkPMQ

Btw, in the video you can see that I borrowed Selgin's backward foot locking technique, thanks for the tip mate! :)

Cannot say anything about Celaction since I could not have a look at it, but I can say that ASP can do full blown turnaround if you put your mind to it, I am doing those on a daily basis right now.

To respond to Andy's post, most studios will likely pay big bucks for software's that are supported, where training is available, where the software can be more easily incorporated into big pipelines.

Smith Micro is not the best support company for big studios, they do not even have decent training material on their site, at least not compared to other companies like Toonboom, but then again, this is not their market.

Now, until proven otherwise or until I can have a look at Celaction, I will state that ASP is the perfect tool for a one man(woman) studio, even small studios with a handful of personal will find it useful and easier to work with.

As soon as all my gears are protected I will post some of my work on the other forum!

Gilles