Anyone bought Poser Debut

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

EijiNizuma

Anyone bought Poser Debut

Post by EijiNizuma »

I just want to know whether you can draw and animate 3d models and characters from scratch. (please don't suggest some other software as I can't afford it!) I'd ask someone from Smith Micro but there's no email contact and their support incident raising doodah is shite.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

While I don't have poser debut, I have got poser 8. It' s not a from scratch 3-d animator like you want. I know that Blender is free and a from scratch 3-d modeler/animator. The learning curve on it is steep but it can do amazing work.
barryem

Post by barryem »

I bought Poser Debut when it was on sale for, I think, $25. I don't do much with it. I prefer the cartoon look I can get with Anime studio. I don't really want realism so much.

I have played with it some and it's fun and surprisingly capable. But no, it won't let you build models from scratch with any ease at all. At best you can combine some primitives into simple models, but even that's pretty limited.

However, the ability to modify the many models it comes with makes up for a lot of that. You can't always make the models into just what you want but you can usually find ways to make something you like.

Barry
crsP

Post by crsP »

Daz3d is similar to Poser and the standard version is free. It is so similar that it can load Poser models.

Blender is also free and allows you to build the models from scratch.

Makehuman is free and works in a similar way to Daz3d and Poser, in that you can design your characters by moving sliders for weight, height, age, etc. There is also an importer for Blender, so you can combine the two software.

3D models are not drawn, but constructed. The closest thing to 'drawing' 3d models I have seen is Teddy, and Super Teddy. Both are free, but experimental software.