editing with premiere pro 4 nearly cracked it.

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Johnofmiddledistance

editing with premiere pro 4 nearly cracked it.

Post by Johnofmiddledistance »

hey folks,

since I've last spoke to you all, I've got premiere pro and I've sorted my asect ratio problems by using the H.264 codec, but, now when I'm playing the video back it's slightly laggy. I'm rendering in the same frame rate as the origional project...should I do that? it fees like I should, but, really I have no idea.

The origional file was HDTV. 720P. 24fps and quicktime.

Then in Premiere pro I used HDV 720p which had 24 fps as project settings, the file looks and plays fine in the software, so, I'm guessing it's more about what I'm doing in the render.

It's getting quite frustrating now any guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon. :?
The MiddleDistance website.
http://middledistanceanimation.moonfruit.com/

MiddleDistance on Youtube.
www.youtube.com/middledistanceproduc

Join us in the distance...
dm

Post by dm »

I'm not clear on what the problem is.

Laggy in Premiere, laggy final movie, laggy something else?

My guess is that the final output, h.264 is 'laggy'. If so, that's probably because something in your system isn't powerful enough to stream an HD quicktime. If your processor isn't up to it, it can't decompress and play the stream smoothly. If the file is big enough, maybe your hard drive isn't up to streaming that much data (you might need a RAID). If you don't have enough RAM, it could be problematic too. So, if it's the final output, what's the file size, is it best quality compression, or lower? What are your system specs? Have you tried playing it with no other software running?

If it's not that, ignore that prior paragraph and describe more, please.

thank you.

(or maybe someone else understands better, and my communication gap is what's lacking-sorry)
Johnofmiddledistance

dm wrote:I'm not clear on what the problem is.

Laggy in Premiere, laggy final movie, laggy something else?

My guess is that the final output, h.264 is 'laggy'. If so, that's probably because something in your system isn't powerful enough to stream an HD quicktime. If your processor isn't up to it, it can't decompress and play the stream smoothly. If the file is big enough, maybe your hard drive isn't up to streaming that much data (you might need a RAID). If you don't have enough RAM, it could be problematic too. So, if it's the final output, what's the file size, is it best quality compression, or lower? What are your system specs? Have you tried playing it with no other software running?

If it's not that, ignore that prior paragraph and describe more, please.

thank you.

(or maybe someone else understands better, and my communication gap is what's lacking-sorry)
Yes, I'm just talking about the finished video render, the actual size of this clip I'm trying to fix is 1.26 mb.

yes I've tried it without other software and it plays exactly the same.
as for file size, the encoder thing was set at between 6mb and 10mb, I haven't changed them, maybe I should?

I've got loads of free space on my lap top, it's a 32 bit toshiba satellite, running vista.

And the best way I can describe the lag is...it seems to be playing right, as far as the speed of the thing goes, but, the pictures are moving, like you can see every frame, if that makes sense. the whole video looks unsmooth, especially on pans and character movement.

everytime I've tried this it's been on 100 percent quality.

thanks for trying to help, hope this helps you with an answer for my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Jon.

shoepie

Post by shoepie »

Are you using windows media player to watch the file?

This video player might play it faster, different codecs or something. I'm just making this BS up as I go along :)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
ShoePie.co.uk - My animations.
Johnofmiddledistance

@shoepie...Yeah so am I. ...lol

A little update, I've just edited something and it still plays a little laggy on my pc, but, it plays fine when I've uploaded it to youtube. so maybe my computer can't hack the pace...

Does that sound about right? I've certainly had one video before where bits wouldn't play right on my laptop but, it did play fine on youtube.

I'm going to try using some different codecs when I'm finished this project, hopefully I'll find a good method that suits me and the projects I make.

Thanks to everyone whose already offered opinions, any more would still be helpful, seeing it working fine on youtube has put my mind at ease a bit, but, I'm still a little concerned.

Cheers

dm

Post by dm »

Sounds like your computer isn't up to playing full quality HD. YouTube compresses further for streaming.

How fast a processor, and how much RAM? 5400 RPM hard drive? (faster, slower?). It all matters. Vista has a fair amount of overhead all on its own. Further system specs can get you some suggestions.