A Good Starter Program for Animation

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sigma-Sigma

A Good Starter Program for Animation

Post by Sigma-Sigma »

'Ello!

I'm new here and I'm pretty darn sure this question may have been asked a lot and i've read a few threads that end up having debates on which is better 'this' or 'that' and it's quite overwhelming.

But I'm new to the whole animation process, and just tried doing a simple facial expression gif in image ready. here's a link if anyone's interested http://a-t-sigma.deviantart.com/art/Lig ... -199419945

I would like to know what is a good software that mimics the traditional hand drawn cel, frame by frame animation. As I'm not really into doing the flash, cut out animation yet. (I'm trying to do something close to anime if you will).

Something that makes it easier to import or export pictures from say a program like Photoshop.

Any comments or old threads that may answer this question would be appreciated.
Sigma-Sigma

Post by Sigma-Sigma »

um also, let's say if I consider something like toon boom to animate and I've been looking at the system requirements like the one for duo core processor;

here are the system requirements from that website

Recommended Configuration

* Dual Core Intel® or AMD® processor (minimum Pentium 4 or AMD 64 processor)
* Microsoft® Windows® 7, Vista, XP or Tablet PC (certified for 32 bits)
* 2 GB RAM (Minimum 1 GB)
* Monitor supporting 1280x1024 resolution
* Video card supporting Direct3D or Open GL with 256 MB RAM (Minimum 128 MB RAM)
* Wacom® Digital Drawing Tablet (optional)
* Free QuickTime® Player
* Free Adobe® Reader

do you necessarily have to have a computer that runs on a duo core processor because the one i have only has one though i am working towards eventually upgrading my 2GB of RAM to 7 or 8 GB of RAM?

My computer is a Compaq Presario CQ62
With a Intel Celeron 900 Processor 2GB RAM
Hard drive runs on 218 GB (150 which is still free)
Windows 7, 64 Bit operating system
I'm assuming this is my video graphics card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express

please, please anyone out there please help!

I really want to get started on this animation stuff but it's rather discouraging when your budget is quite tight
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Your PC is perfectly OK to run Anime Studio.

Also, I believe you graphic card is a shader model 3 so it will do 3D.

It also should be OK for TB.

For your question. You can import images into AS and use switch layer to make the animation. I do it all the time
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Sigma-Sigma

Post by Sigma-Sigma »

sbtamu wrote:Your PC is perfectly OK to run Anime Studio.

Also, I believe you graphic card is a shader model 3 so it will do 3D.

It also should be OK for TB.

For your question. You can import images into AS and use switch layer to make the animation. I do it all the time
ah thank you, i've been wrecking my brains out all day
and i want to try out a trial version of each anime studio and toon boom

though i think i'll wait until i upgrade the ram for my pc (which i'm finding is quite affordable so that makes me happy)
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I took your GIF and imported it as images to Anime studio and used a switch layer. I hope this explains to you what AS can do.

I deleted your gif and all images off my PC after making this video and also this video is private and will delete it also. And I will remove it from my YT site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4akKNxdTXg4
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Paul Mesken

Re: A Good Starter Program for Animation

Post by Paul Mesken »

Well, something that stays very close to traditional animation is Digicel's Flipbook. It has an exposure sheet, which is very handy, but it is extremely basic as far as drawing tools go.

I only use the cheapest version (300 frames limit, 2 layers) for things like rotoscoping and pencil tests (working out timing). For these things, I believe Flipbook to be the most convenient tool. It's true that Anime Studio can do these things as well but it's easier (quicker) to do in Flipbook and it has this simple, yet easy to use, exposure sheet.

You can also paint in (cleaned up) sketches quite quickly with it. This is also an important part of a test, to see if your volume control is good.

BUT Flipbook is extremely weak as far as drawing tools go (that's why I think it's only good for pencil tests and rotoscoping). ASPro is merely twice as expensive as the cheapest version of Flipbook but ASPro has great drawing tools.

Personally, I'm very impressed with ASPro's control over line (such things are hard to do when your're used to sketching with a pencil). Or adding an alpha blended texture with fills (just scan water color paper, tweak it a bit to get a big contrast and blend it with the fill to make it look like the BG was painted on paper). And lots more. These are things where the computer can really add to hand drawn animation.

None of these things are present in Flipbook. But it does have this great exposure sheet. And it is more convenient to do pencil tests with. I think the two of them work great (using Flipbook to design, test and tweak an animation and then use ASPro to make it a fully fletched animation).

BTW : it's not like you can just import Flipbook's output and tweak it in ASPro. They're very different programs (ASPro is vector based, Flipbook does bitmaps and its output are AVIs or GIFs). Flipbook would output the sketches and you'd still have to trace them in ASPro, like the inking and painting stage of traditional cell animation.
Sigma-Sigma

Post by Sigma-Sigma »

question...you can use more than two layers right? (not quite clear on the 300 frames limit, 2 layers bit)

it does seem like a good program to start with
Paul Mesken

Post by Paul Mesken »

Sigma-Sigma wrote:question...you can use more than two layers right? (not quite clear on the 300 frames limit, 2 layers bit)

it does seem like a good program to start with
The version I use (Flipbook Lite) only has 2 layers and has the limit of 300 frames. For what I use it for, that's enough. But if you really want to make a feature with it, you'll need more layers and more frames. The Pro and ProHD version have 100 layers (which is more than enough for anything) and 1500 frames. But these versions come with a much heavier price tag (600 and 800 U$ as opposed to the 80 U$ Lite version). Personally, I don't think a simple program like Flipbook is worth such a price tag so I only use the Lite version.
Sigma-Sigma

Post by Sigma-Sigma »

i just downloaded the program but it has that annoying watermark can you get rid of it or is it permament?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

but it has that annoying watermark can you get rid of it
Buy the program

Dale