Messiah Studio 3D animation software for $10/$40

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dazza101

Messiah Studio 3D animation software for $10/$40

Post by dazza101 »

Thought fellow AS users may be interested in this offer for Messiah Studio - the basic edition is just $10 (regularly $499) and the Pro version is $40 (regularly $1195) - for a limited number of copies. I have looked at this software before and it seems to be incredibly powerful, and at this price it seems a no brainer to give it a try. Thought I would pass it along...
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

The down side to this offer is you can not get a license for it until they reach their goal and if they do not reach their goal you will have to buy it at full price.

It may be worth taking a look at none the less.

Thanks for the tip.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

sbtamu wrote:The down side to this offer is you can not get a license for it until they reach their goal and if they do not reach their goal you will have to buy it at full price.

It may be worth taking a look at none the less.

Thanks for the tip.
Actually, if they don't reach their goal, they will refund the money and you don't have to buy anything. I thought it was worth the risk... :D
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

True, I see that now. I might get the Pro for 40 bucks.

I wonder if the goal is realistic or is this a new marketing technique to just get the product out the door and hope a certain% will be bought when the goal is not met.

But for 40 bucks I'll go ahead and buy it.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I have the pro version 4, and these guys are on the level. The economy is tight these days so maybe making the software more popular is the ticket.

The software support many of the popular 3D object, but it was first written for Lightwave user. Some of these guys use a free modeler "Wings3D" to import into Messiah Project. $40 as a great deal that you cant lose!
rave

Post by rave »

Hi,
it is a very intersting offer - I tried it.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

dm

Post by dm »

I dl'd the mac demo.

It runs under x11, and has crashed a lot. When it's not crashing, it's not bad. I think I prefer Blender though. I sure wouldn't be happy if I had paid over a thousand dollars for this. Maybe I can work out some kinks and have a better report before the demo runs out.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Looks very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I have never crash under window. However there is a problem with the ATI card and discussion on how they fix it. Most Mac machine have a ATI card.
p6r

Post by p6r »

Full Messiah Pro version installed with the right code received today...

So thanks to dazza101 !!!

6R
crsP

Post by crsP »

The 'Mac version' is just the Windows version running under Wine. This is one reason the Mac has so many issues which are not present if you are running Messiah under Windows. I would suggest if you have a Mac that you run the Windows version under bootcamp if you can. You will be a lot less frustrated [although the Windows version still has issues with graphics cards].

This is coming from a Mac user, just so you know. I saw this deal promoted elsewhere and was interested, but having been bitten before by software companies with blatantly false hyperbole on the functionality of their software, I thought more in-depth investigation was needed. If you go to their official forums [setuptab] you will see very good reasons for not using the Mac version. Despite running in Wine, using api's unsupported by Apple, they seem to blame Apple for this poor Mac 'port'. Claiming Apple keeps changing things in their os that breaks 3d programs. Sighting Adobe [CS Suite] and Newtek [Lightwave] as proof that 'Macs cannot do 3d as well as Windows', and completely ignoring Maxon [Cinema4d] and SideEfx [Houdini3d] [who claim on their website that the Mac version of Houdini3d ran as good as the others, if not better]. More tellingly [and probably more accurately] they also state that they cannot afford a full-time Mac programmer, which for Mac users means there will be no native Mac port. So you pay the same but get less, and worse. Less in the sense that Wine does not yet support 64bit, so no 64 bit Mac version in the near future unless Wine provides it. Ironically, if they did a proper Mac Os Cocoa port, they will have 64bit automatically. And wont have the issues of display Windows users [and Mac users because this is a Windows app running under Wine] have.

The good news is, I think,even if you bought the Mac version, if you licence it under Windows you will have the Windows licence [you will lose the Mac licence as, even though they claim the advantage of Wine is that you are running the same exact code as the Windows version, the licence they generate aren't the same - there goes you theory people]. I advise you to confirm this with their people so as to not be disappointed.
dm

Post by dm »

I didn't see any notice of X11 or Wine on their site when going to download it. If I had, it would have been a different experience. It certainly didn't work well enough for me to bother with. And, it's a little disconcerting that they don't tell you this stuff up front. The Mac experience did not improve. The Windows experience was OK, but not good enough to bother with any further.

I agree that Mac 3D is certainly able to be powerful and stable. Houdini, Maya, Cinema 4D, Blender, and several others. But, they're trying to sell their stuff, so I can't imagine why they would say anything that might dilute how 'fabulous' they are.

Thanks for the extra info, crsP. I agree with it.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I don't have immediate plans to use this software, I just bought this license because it was so ridiculously cheap. Maybe I'll dust off my Lightwave and give it a go. If I only had the time... :oops: